Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Weed Wacker woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patsdeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Ryobi straight shaft trimmer. Have had it probably 10 yrs. Bulb finally cracked, so no problem, put a new one on. Worked fine, but just wasn't what it once was. Did what y'all recommend, get a new carb. Ordered from Amazon. Put in on and running good. However every time I go to use it I have to fiddle with it and I'm tired of that. It might run for a few seconds or maybe just pop off. Think I got a crap carb? The whole thing was only $100 new, so hate to throw another $30 carb at it. If I do, any good places to get one?

It does have new spark plugs, fuel lines and fuel filter.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cracked bulb might have shed bits that entered old and new carbs . Clean out and new fuel lines and tank filter first .

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pastdeere,

Check the armature gap, set it @.012.
Check the muffler screen. If clogged, light it up and brush it off.

Empty the fuel mix, and put it fresh fuel mix.

Gap the plug between .025 to . 030. Then go do some weed wacking,

Guido.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's why I bought a Ryobi battery one last time.
Quiet and very light weight.

Phill Tibbetts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly my feeling, my 40 volt Ryobi lasts a long time on a full battery. Don't have to crank for 10 minutes to get it started either.

Patsdeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, if I only did the yard, then maybe. But I take it to the rentals and it needs a little more beef to get the job done.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it have a yellow shaft? if so it is Homelite product. They're junk.

The really old silver-shaft Ryobi(s) were pretty good units.

Then MTD got a hold of Ryobi and worked their magic and from then on they were only 2-3 year machines at best. About the time the warranty expired, its time to get another trimmer.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be a bad carb. I've run into that with the China replacements, need constant main jet adjustment to keep it running.

Been fighting that on a Stihl pole saw, next move is to buy a carb from Stihl.

Tony in Bama
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been down that road a couple of times. Seems like most carbs (at least the cheap ones). I've had instances where I had to go to a second replacement and it worked fine.

Tony in Bama
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Multitasking - meant to type that the cheap ones are Chinese. I've tried them on non-critical stuff due to the price and have had okay luck. However, I have gotten bad ones and had to rinse and repeat.

Patsdeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep. Replaced a silver shaft one after it went crappy. The silver one was fantastic. Never been a fan of the yellow one. Might go Stihl.

mjbrown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

80v kobalt works great so far. Easy to start.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new carb for around $15 off of either amazon of ebay.
That's when I discovered my 4 stroke engine was a honda. It's a few pounds heavier than a 2 cycle. If you ever use it you will say that's the most powerful weed wacker. The boss doesn't want a battery powered one. She likes the husky-varna. Very easy to start. Very powerful straight shaft, 2 string trimmer.
It's a lifetime trimmer if you change the oil.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel lines get old and split too, air get sucked in with the fuel and the engine runs too lean. Ten years out of a set of fuel lines is pretty good, they are due for replacement.

mozark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Weed Wacker woes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try taking the reed valve out and check the plate that limits how far the reed valve opens, I had a Ryobi and that plate was bent so the reed valve wouldn't close properly.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters