Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Dumb question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracy Brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where is the thermostat on a gas M tractor? I have one wanting to overheat when I put it to work. Was starting with the simple easy stuff. Prob end up pulling radiator and getting it cleaned.

cuby
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Therm. is in top casting that goes to top rad. neck

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you tried just blowing out the radiator? I have a long blowpipe with a bend in the end so I can blow them out from the backside. Also is your fan belt tight enough?

Tracy Brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats what I took apart. I guess that means it didnt have one in it. Thx

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would do a simple check for compression in the cooling system before ya get to involved . Drain the water down till it is flush with the open Thermostat mounting on the head do this on a cold engine , next unhook the fan belt so the water pump does not turn . Then fire the tractor up and go wide open throttle , if it start pushen water then ya have either a head gskt heading south for the winter or ya have a crack either in the upper part of the block or your head has a crack. If it does not push water then clean the rad and install a thermostat and tighten the fan belt.

riverbend
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll second that. My H would run up to the red disking in 3rd even on a hardly warm day. Washed all the fuzz, seeds, chaff out of the radiator fins and and it stays in the lower half of the green area. A good nozzle shooting a smooth, solid stream of water has a lot more momentum than a jet of air. It does make more of a mess.
Greg

Hockeygoon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Means the over heating problem is not new.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup and they did the exact wrong thing to try fixing it. Taking the thermostat out is a quick hack to get you home but long term the cooling system needs a thermostat to work properly. Otherwise the water just flies through the system and never gets cooled off in the radiator.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dumb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rad needs blown out more than any thing esle. I've not had any of those old IH's run close to warm if the rad is not full of dirt.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters