Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

400 Chevy Small Block

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXZane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: 400 Chevy Small Block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just checked the numbers on my 61 Chevy Viking i
just bought. Its not running yet but turns out it
has a 400 small block in it. I was expecting a 283
or 327. Has anybody ever driven a 400 small block
truck? I hope its got some good power/torque. The
only thing i can compare it to is a 292 that i
have in my 66 C60. Im hoping it will be a more
powerful engine. ill find out in a couple weeks
when i get it running.

8NChris
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 400 Chevy Small Block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TXZane wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:18:33 09/10/20) I just checked the numbers on my 61 Chevy Viking i
when i get it running.
If it turns out it still has a standard bore you have something valuable. About the fastest around was a local man and his brother ran small blocks and Quadrajets. In the Camero's and pickups they raced the 400 small block needed some help keeping cool. That may not be the case with the big truck radiators.

deene
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 400 Chevy Small Block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they do have good torque, i think 4 1/8 in bore and 3 3/4 stroke vs the 3.48 stroke for the 350 and 305.

they have siamised bores in the middle so steam holes are drilled in the block and heads for better cooling, in slightly over stock forms (mild cam and compression) they run very well and have good longevity, while no v8 has the low end like a straight 6 it will run out across the rpm range way better than the 292 you have used before.

deene
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 400 Chevy Small Block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they do have good torque, i think 4 1/8 in bore and 3 3/4 stroke vs the 3.48 stroke for the 350 and 305.

they have siamised bores in the middle so steam holes are drilled in the block and heads for better cooling, in slightly over stock forms (mild cam and compression) they run very well and have good longevity, while no v8 has the low end like a straight 6 it will run out across the rpm range way better than the 292 you have used before.

riveroadrat
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 400 Chevy Small Block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TXZane wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:18:33 09/10/20) I just checked the numbers on my 61 Chevy Viking i
when i get it running.
I don't know if a 400 will work in a big truck with the large flywheel as a 400 is externally balanced. It should be OK if you use the smaller externally balanced flywheel and front damper.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters