Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

glue

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingnuttx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

504. If you have the ability to reach up and glue,,,,, why not try secure one or two metal screws or similar to hang the electrical junction boxes??
With the conduit on either side it could be a little heavy right? Wingnut

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is what wil work for you, even for the wire,

Guido.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some good ideas gentlemen. Yes, modern steel building,one nut holding anything so far has not held worth a hoot. You have to go 4 feet to get to the next one. One of the first things I bought from Amazon was 500, 5/16 bolt connectors. You can't add anything in the building without them. The tape looks promising,it will hold the boxes and maybe the 12ga wire too. Working 16 feet up ,I don't want to spend too much time holding 20 boxes up to wait for glue to dry.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I give, what is a "bolt connector"??

What are these boxes going to be used for? How often?

Overhead pendant light every ten feet?

This post was edited by DoubleO7 on 09/26/2021 at 10:35 am.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might screw some wood to the ceiling from the exterior and then fasten the boxes to. Use the metal to wood screws for sheet roofing. I don't think there is an adhesive I would trust to last indefinitely. You could drill the mounting holes through the roof and then stick the wood up with hot melt glue. That way you wouldn't have to guess where the block was.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know of any code article that prevents it { unless workmanlike manner not followed] I have seen an inspector fail it.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3M 04247 adhesive.

It's a two part adhesive, requires it's own caulking gun type device.

It's not cheap, about $40 for the adhesive and another $40 for the gun, but it's good.

John(OR)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to Amazon, get a bottle of CA glue cynoacrylate Get the activator also
spray the metal with the activator put glue on box slam it home you wont move it,
do not get it on you hands takes a while to get fingers apart and days for it to wear off.

IaLeo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 40 x 60 deeply corrugated Quonset-type shed that my son and I electrified 25 years ago.

We drill screwed 1 x 6 boards to inside sides for outlets (conduit) and ceiling? for flourescent fixtures. Of course the inside convolutions are the outside rain/melt drains!

What has happened is the water has leaked through around the ceiling? screws, rotting the 1 x 6s. Not bad yet, but I wished we had put a piece of rubber or some kind of sealant between the board and the ceiling? at the screw locations. I have been on top of the shed, very careful of the projecting screws, studying how to dab sealant onto the projections, but they are so far down the slope that I will have to use a long handle to safely stay up where the slope is safe, yet reach the projecting screws.

We hung 8 foot flourescents, hard wired and ceiling fans from the boards, the fans work well yet today, but the durned flourescents are a pain.

I wished that I would have had the inside commercially painted a light color to help with the lighting as my eyes get older! Leo

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Again, we have no idea what your wiring for.
Just lights?

I installed four foot led single bulb lights with 20" in between inside the top of my shipping container.
I used one 90lb capacity rare earth magnet screwed to a 24 inch long 1x2.I
The clips to hold the lights are screwed into the board.
So six lights required seven magnets total.
The four foot light weighs maybe half a pound, they are not going anywhere.
And if bumped side ways they can move a bit with out getting busted down.

So depending on what kinda weight capacity you need, it might work for you too.

This post was edited by DoubleO7 on 09/28/2021 at 06:38 am.

led
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this to that

Led

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Speaking of fasteners I have some lead-head nails from the 50's for nailing steel roof.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Billy Shafer wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:12:29 09/26/21) I don't think they make glue or tape anymore.I recall as a kid. The stuff we used was alot stronger.Once it was in place it was in place.

You must've been sniffing it to remember it that way. Modern adhesives are far and away superior to anything you could get decades ago.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:57:54 09/29/21)
CVPost-Billy Shafer wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:12:29 09/26/21) I don't think they make glue or tape anymore.I recall as a kid. The stuff we used was alot stronger.Once it was in place it was in place.

You must've been sniffing it to remember it that way. Modern adhesives are far and away superior to anything you could get decades ago.

I remember the glue for styrene plastic models would hold extremely well provided that you got it clamped together tightly.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: glue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Styrene glue is solvent cement like used on PVC. It melts the parts together, not happening with this application.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters