Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

custom combining?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tractorboy888
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious in your areas if theres much of a market for custom combining? Land tough to come by here and lost the last of my ground I was farming. Had thrown around the idea of doing some smaller scale custom harvesting with a good used combine. Probably won't end up doing it but something to think about.
Biggest thing is I'll be working a job so pretty hard to have days off work out trying to combine for people. Corn not so bad but beans need to go when the suns out and dry. And wouldn't be nearly enough money to make a living etc.
Maybe seeding with a notill drill and/or planting would be better.
I'm in ontario canada

anyone out there doing custom work with older equipment? I could see issues with breakdowns or customers being a bit worried about someone with a older machine.

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in Ontario as well, and the only guys doing custom work have late model equipment, wagons, grain buggy, trucks....a few guys help out a neighbour or two but are not really custom cutters. The window for bean harvest can be quite narrow and these guys like to be able to cut 50 to100 acres in a day....the BTOs with several machines easily cover hundreds of acres in a day. The only way to be sure is to canvass your area and ask a few smaller farmers if they would be interested in your services....and at an attractive price.

Ben

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think both you and the farmer would have less risk if you did planting, tillage, or baling.

Harvest needs timely, a good machine, and costs a lot to own and maintain.

Planting people are a little less stressed.

Tillage you need simple cheap power and simpler tillage machine, good used is fine.

Hay there tend to be lots of small acres you can work on only issue is collecting money from horse people.

Paul

redforlife
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thought about it myself. The down sides always kept me from trying it.
Small guys tend to have an older machine themselves. Bigger guys are not willing to put up with breakdowns and down time on custom cutter that is lightening up thier work load. If they get in a pinch and can't do it themselves because of lack of time, they gonna want a bunch cut in short order. I could probly cut for a couple guys I know, but figured it wouldn't justify owning, operating, maintaining an older machine to pick up those jobs.
Farmers are usually short on truck and grain cart drivers at harvest time. So I just help a couple three farmers doing that. I just charge by the hour, and run thier equipment. But, I can make myself available during the day to do this.

tractorboy888
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah kind of my thoughts as well, Corn would likely be easier to do with bigger windows etc but need to be able to do beans and wheat for it to work out getting enough acres. I've seen a few guys with 90s combine advertising in other areas but not sure how successful they are.

The planter/drill idea may still be worth looking into, just have to see if there would be much interest.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brother-in-law with a CDL and always made his extra X-mas money from driving trucks and occasionally tractors after work for area farmers. He had zero investment in equipment, zero expenses, zero repair bills, and got paid in cash.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do custom combining , drilling , plowing , disking , harrowing spraying mowing , raking and baling all with old equipment I keep well maintained.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is an early 7700 combine, Ive never seen one that small a grain tank. Did it come from wheat area, it wouldnt do well in corn areas of today. Heck Im disappointed with my L3 Gleaner only holding 200 bu, cant make a round on a good year.

Paul

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its a 1979 7700 with the rotating screen unfortunately it doesnt have the hydraulic latch on the auger its a hydro and turbo . Factory bin extensions holds 169 bushels

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The horse people are my best customers they either write a check or pay cash the day its done and usually get a 3 to 500$ bonus .

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brain must be confusing the 7720. Only jd combine that new Ive been in was the neighbors, must have been 79 or 80. Came and helped combine. When the field was done he raised the head, idled the machine running, got out and walked on the head kicking ears in.

I sat there dumbstruck.

Neighbor is still alive.....

Paul

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And still has all his legs and arms ? And yes I cant imagine 170 bushel bin in 250 bushel corn would be fun unless you had a cart running like crazy

thehickdaddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: custom combining? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Horse people have been some of my best customers also. Back in the 90s and 00s, I rented small fields that the big guys wouldn't bother with. At the time I had an allis chalmers all crop 66 bulk bin. With my dads over 30 years of all crop experience, the all crop purred along year after year. It had a bulk tank but had both tall auger for unloading into trucks and shorty turn down auger with hooks so you could sack the grain out of the bulk bin which was perfect for me because I sold and delivered the oats right out of the field and stacked in the grain room of the horse barns. And I asked the horse people to save me their old feed sacks to use, so the sacks were free to me, and the customer got the grain stacked and delivered and they paid on the spot.
Couldn't beat the smile off their face with a 4by4
Course I was smiling pretty big also, harvesting with all crop

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters