Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magnumpowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced the steels and a few fiber disks and re-assembled the PTO clutch. I tightened the nut till its hard to push the clutch arm over center. I attached a 60 rotary tiller to the tractor and it started tilling quite well but soon after 5 minuets or so the PTO clutch started slipping and it became easy to engage and disengage the clutch. So I re-adjusted the clutch again thinking perhaps it was wearing in or something. But after adjusting it as tight as I could and still able to go over center the same thing, would start slipping after a few minuets of use. The engine at first pulled down and blow a bit of black smoke at first but I don't think it was even at full power and I wasn't allowing the tiller to go to full depth. Any ideas what could be going on?

magnumpowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW, the keeper push pin is moving freely and popping back out into the notches as it should to keep the adjustment nut from moving from its set position.

CMCCOY7
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you remove the PTO clutch disc housing? If so then did you tighten the nut that secures the housing to the shaft? Another thought is that the roll pin in the PTO shaft could have broken which would cause it to spin (that's a stretch I think but worth considering)
Here's a link to a video I just did that may or may not be of some help
Oliver 550 Rebuild: PTO and End Engine Cutch Diassembly Ep 9

magnumpowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Inspecting the clutch the teeth on the fiber friction disks are breaking off. The clutch lasted just a few minuets before deteriorating, maybe less than a minuet. The teeth in the hub were smooth and I replaced the three bars on the inter hub. I have the feeling the friction disks were made for inferior material because two of them were even a different color. Does anyone know where I can purchase quality friction disks not made in China?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the set screw that holds the clutch together came loose and let the discs slide forward and out of the slots. I made a huge mistake and mine did the same thing. You really need to put a short set screw in those, then put another short one in the same hole to keep the first one from loosening up. I'd about bet a dollar to a donut that's what happened.

magnumpowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice video!!! Wish I saw that before I started the restoration.

magnumpowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Chris, could you send me an email or give me a call, I have some questions. Thanks, Charles 971 226 9006

CMCCOY7
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver Super 55 Diesel PTO clutch Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will do

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters