Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RTV silicone on head gasket. Really?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to the service manual...yes. This
is on a John Deere 950 with a Yanmar engine.
This tractor came in for a head gasket
replacement and reading the torque specs and
installation instructions it said to coat
both sides with RTV silicone. Anyone else
ever seen instructions for that? I have
always read or been told clean and dry or
copper coat if you just have to use
something.

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the little brother 650 and the JD manual (common with the 750) says to install dry. No, I have never heard of using silicone RTV on a head gasket. The previous owner of my Farmall H had used silicone rtv on the manifold gasket and it leaked badly. High-temp RTV is only rated to 550F or so, and Permatex makes a copper RTV that is supposedly rated to 700F. But I do not see even it surviving the heat--maybe it only goes around the water passages. But the authors of the manual have some expertise. Is it a JD manual, or aftermarket?

J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's an I&T manual. I'm going to run by the dealer and see what a Deere manual says about it.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dave41A wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:35:39 10/14/21) I have the little brother 650 and the JD manual (common with the 750) says to install dry. No, I have never heard of using silicone RTV on a head gasket. The previous owner of my Farmall H had used silicone rtv on the manifold gasket and it leaked badly. High-temp RTV is only rated to 550F or so, and Permatex makes a copper RTV that is supposedly rated to 700F. But I do not see even it surviving the heat--maybe it only goes around the water passages. But the authors of the manual have some expertise. Is it a JD manual, or aftermarket?

If it leaked it was not because of the RTV... Yes the RTV turns into a silicon power over time it keeps the gasket from detreating from friction and heat.

I have never coated a head gasket with RTV some do come with a sealing bead that appears to be a silicon seal. You will see it where it would seal off oil galleys/passages and cool passages.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never coated an entire head gasket with silicone.

Seems to me there would be a danger of hydraulic floating of the gasket, let alone the clogging of coolant and oil passages.

I have used silicone to seal studs and bolts that are through drilled to the water jacket.

I have used a VERY thin coat of silicone around an oil pressure galley that passes through the head gasket. I remember the old L series Datsun engines were prone to leak around the oil passage if you didn't.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, the only way I got some of those old Minneapolis-Molines not to leak water was to run a bead of silicone around every water passage in the head gasket.

But then MM is the only OEM I have ever seen that said to torque one side of the head 80 ft/lb. and the other side 100 ft/lb.

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are probably under the assumption that the technician knows better than to run a 1/8 inch bead around every hole.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Believe it or not. In the early 70s a guy in college had a ford 4 cylinder with aluminum heads. I think it might have been a Pinto. Not 100%. I'm thinking it may have been a 2 or 2.2 L engine, over head cam.
It came with a 2 year 24k warranty. During that time Ford replaced the head gasket 2x.
RTV wasn't invented yet, it was clear silicone.
We removed the head, One beer. He applied a thin coat of silicone on head gasket. That took a second bear to let the silicone cure. Another beer to replace the head. The head gasket never leaked. True story. So believe or not, A 6 pk of bud, clear silicone and silicone on head gasket worked.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Yanmar forum says the manual says this.
Dow Corning/RTV Silicon Gasket Three Bond #50 or equivalent.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its not that they have 2 different size studs on some. So naturally u need 2 torque values.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never seen it in a manual but I bought a Ford 8N once that the
previous owner had tried to re-use the old head gasket and get
the flathead to seal with white household caulk. It didn't work well.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd check the Hoye Tractor website they are the Yanmar tractor experts I'd trust.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tend to follow the manual the engineering department that designed the machine usually knows more about how to fix it that bubba the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench

J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do too. Thats why I have a bookshelf full of service manuals, because I dont know everything. I just never read anything before in one about it.

J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RTV silicone on head gasket. Really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll look that up

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters