Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Engine prep to paint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two0aks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine is on the stand, (NAA 134ci). Engine and head completely renewed. Block mag fluxed,liners, pistons the works. Head new valves,guides,seals,seats, the works.

I have reassembled the engine. Rocker cover,pushrod cover,oil pan installed. I thoroughly wire wheeled the block to remove rust and applied Ospho and wiped dry.

I should have probably washed the head which was clean from the machinist before I installed it, but didn't.

I'm looking for ideas to Clean any oil residue off the head without having a mess of water or solvent get into every crevice below the head. I'm kind of confident brushing with a dilute Super Clean and wiping may be the only way. But just wondering what others may do or have done.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

put some wax and grease remover, ie prep sol, pre cleano, 900 or what ever you use in your spray gun and use that to clean the head. use a blow gun
to dry it off.

Two0aks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

glennster. Thanks for the reply. I currently have none of the suggested products. Heading to the Web.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

your local body shop supplier or even napa or auto zone will have a similiar product. after you wash the block down wear disposable gloves to avoid
getting oil from your hands on the clean surface before you paint

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most solvents would work. Wash the engine, frequently changing rags until you get almost nothing on the rag.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brake clean.

44 massey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 3M spray disc brake cleaner, cleans very well, blow dry and
leaves no film, can follow with paint after few minutes (10
minutes)!!!!!

Two0aks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine prep to paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for your tips. They are well received. As to Brake cleaner, I do have a stock of cans and use it quite often. And going on one of your suggestions I did get a type of Pre Sol called Finish 1 FT200. It was pretty expensive for only a quart. If I ever get to the sheet metal it will come in handy for that too as well as cast wipe down.

So I'll add another question: On my generator, which has Alum. end plate and I had the bearings replaced, (brushes we good), has anyone painted the entire Gen. Red including the Alum end plate ? I'll tape the two oil wick balls for aesthetics since the bushing was replaced with a non-hole type that doesn't require oil.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters