Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Manehiem tractors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are the German built tractors any good

coonie minnie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which models are you talking about?

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

50 and 55

fdt860
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They can last 15k hourswith no problems.
Failure of the hilo clutch seals is not unheard off.
Master clutch cylinder will need replacement.
Rest of the tractor very solid. You can find parts cheap. If you have external cylinder, the three point is very strong, as strong as a 4255 for lift capacity. Can plow with a 5 bottoms rollover easily.

Only bad one I saw was a 3650 akka 3355 that lost a snap ring in the transmission and wrecked it. But that is not common at all.

rockcreek4630
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only advantage over your 4020 is mfwd and cab other whise the 4020 is a way better tractor.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-SVcummins wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:08:24 11/24/21) 50 and 55

I personally don't like the clutch operating mechanism on Mannheim SGB tractors due to having master/slave cylinder verses the Perma-clutch on Waterloo tractors. Perma-clutch disks as a rule will outlast several Mannheim dry traction clutches especially performing FEL operations.
I like the design/operation of Waterloo hyd's much better than Mannheim designed hyd's. Air conditioning system on Waterloo tractors is ""far superior"" to Manheim built tractors. Wiring on Waterloo tractors with SGB(cab) is light yrs ahead of Mannheim tractors with a cab

Mannheim/Saran engines are normally very good engines and are utilized in many later model JD tractors

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have 2.....2955 I bought new, 7200 hours, a lot of them heavy draw bar work and pto work. Replaced head gasket and a seal in the trans. Good solid tractor.

Have a 2120 with loader my dad bought new, similar to a Dubuque 2030. 11000 hours, set of sleeves and pistons, one clutch disc, handy as a pocket in a shirt, but does not like cold starts.

Had a 2755 with loader, bought with 2400 hours, sold at 6000 hours one the livestock left. Replaced clutch and pressure plate. Good torque engine, good cold weather starter.

The Waterloos are a better tractor, but not built in the utility sizes. Those JD utilities are as good as and better than any utility tractor.

Ben

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will agree with Centash and Tx Jim's comments. I have worked on and with Mannheim/Dubuque built tractors for close to 40 yrs and would not have anything else. No they are not a Waterloo built. That is like apples and oranges. but as far as utility tractors go they will kick other colours to the road in my book.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with centash &Tech 7 that JD utility tractors built from '65-'92 for the most part are good tractors & many have given a lot of hrs of service

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends . Has it been maintained and not beaten the past 30+ years . The 40 series can have it's moments with transmission hydraulics . The wet sleeve engine , like any wet sleeve engine can be damaged with old expired coolant.

This post was edited by buickanddeere on 11/24/2021 at 09:07 am.

fdt860
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-SVcummins wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:08:24 11/23/21) 50 and 55

On tractorhouse, it seems that utility 55 series are overpriced for what they are, and 7000 are a good value.
I would let collectors buy the 3255 abd work with a 7410 or 7610...

JD Dave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I consider 55 series utility tractors the gold standard of John Deere's offerings before and since. Look at how they're built, heavy, solid, nothing breaks. Sure, they have a dry clutch and, yes, A/C can be an issue but that being said, I have very few problems with them.

55deere70
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a 2350 now for about 15 years. It's been my main tractor on my farm. 5000 hrs on it, all I've done is rebuilt the 3pt lift cylinder. I have no complaints.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im not going to be buying anything anytime soon . I do like
the 3155 mfwd but a 4430 is more in my budget and Id
rather have a powershift

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Manehiem tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once you have used M4WD . You will wonder why anyone dorks around with 2WD .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters