Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

La Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ochs n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: La Case Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 49-La Case that needs rear brakes replaced. Anybody has any experience taking break cover off axel? I have been told that this could be a hard project to get apart. If anybody would have info on this I would apricate that

V35B
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: La Case Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done them, its not a bad task. Remove the tire/rim assy by removing the lugs scattered around the wheel. The big nut comes off the axle next and then a puller will remove the wheel/drum. There are puller bolt holes in the wheel. It is heavy, like 300-400 lbs heavy, so use something to handle it.

What exactly is wrong with your brakes? Could it be possible they need fluid and bleeding or do you know that they are sure enough bad?

Ochs n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: La Case Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The breaks haven't worked since I got the tractor. Block was full of rust so I ended up putting Merdice acid through block. Going to put water back through system again. If it
runs ok Ill change it over to antifreeze. Tried to run motor couple times, kept getting rust in Radiator. Didn't know what to do to get rust out of motor. I figured since I have a little time I would check Breaks out. Need to replace wheels as calcium has eaten wheel up pretty bad. Hoping it wouldn't take a lot to check brake pads.

J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: La Case Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to pull the sleeves to get the rust out of the block on my DC, it was pretty bad

V35B
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: La Case Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a visual of what you will be dealing with on the brakes.

Your shoes may be OK, but I would bet that your master and wheel cylinders are full of rust.

Ochs n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: La Case Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya this tractor sat in a shop for 10
years. Then was moved outside due to
storage area needed. It Had a big loader
on it. Last years of service was loading
silage and cattle hay.

Ochs n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: La Case Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had pulled the water pump off and removed the 90 on front of valve head. Was about 2' of rust filled up at back of block. Built a 1/8 coper tube that I could get into back of motor. Shop was plum full of dust when I finished blowing block. Valve head was the same way. Everything I had read on YT said that blowing block out would not fix problem. That is why I tried Merdice Acid. Thanks for all your help, guys.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters