Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwragon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am still learning about all of these making hay implements, and I ran across parts for a disc cutter with large discs, are these any better than the disc cutters with four small blades, or are they an inbetween bushog?

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably need to clarify what you saw. Google "drum mower" and see if that's it. They are another type of hay mowing machine. They cut similar to a disc mower, but typically smaller in width.

dwragon
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did what you said, went back and looked through my history,
The pictures I looked at were the parts were for a Reese 2400HL and were not really good drawings, so I searched Reese 2400HL and saw they werent really sawblades. Not really a design i am interested in after all.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reese cutters do not use saw blades, they are drum mowers that have large diameter disc with 3-4 small replaceable blades that are very similar to what a disc mower uses
The drums spin at a faster speed to make up for the fewer total number of blades
I have a disc mower and a older drum mower, I would buy a new drum mower if they still made one like my old one

SHALER
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have read good recommendations on this site from guys like Destroked that have a drum mower and are very happy with it. That said, I beleive these are designed
for small farmers, and in my area (where there are a significant number of small farms) I have yet to see one.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The drum mowers are driven with a belt high over the top right? They tend to be smaller in width. They have a cheaper drive setup.

Disc mowers can be wider, are driven with gears or shafts below the cutter bar, seem to be more high speed, higher production?

Ive never seen a drum mower in person. Nearly everyone has a disc mower these days, even me.

Seems to be cheaper less long term durability vs higher production, longer service costs more up front?

Both have their place.

Paul

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think only the reese brand of drum mowers are belt driven, most of them are gear driven from a main drive shaft thru the top of the mower frame
When drum and disc mowers were first introduced the drum mower was heavier and could take more abuse then the early disc mowers
Drum mowers were more popular in European countries while disc mower were more desired in the US
The introduction of the discbine started the downturn of the drum mower has it could not toss the cuttings up into the rolls, plus it's tendency to windrow the hay would cause uneven distribution thru the rolls
When I looked at switching from sickle bar mower to a disc or drum the available 3 point hitch models in at least 7 ft cutting width were a fair bit heavy for the 4000 Ford I farmed width, especially for my Ky hill side farm, I had heard of some farmers turning their tractors over or breaking the right side lift arm off due to the weight of the mower
After some search I found a used Claas WM30 8 ft trailed drum mower that was in my price range and a size I felt my tractor would handle

Generic photo, not my tractor

I used this mower from the mid 90's until 2016 when I purchased a new Kuhn 9 ft trailed disc mower

Hooked to the 5000

The only down side to a drum mower is it windrows the hay so it must be tedded out for proper drying
That said if I could buy a new Claas trailed drum mower today like my old one I would

This post was edited by Destroked 450 on 12/03/2021 at 04:51 pm.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good info, thanks!

Around here there were small dairies until maybe 10 years ago. So good alfalfa was a driving force.

Most of our grass hay is made on irregular waste land that is too wet to farm, or along road ditches. So mobility is treasured to maneuver.

In both cases dry down is really important in our always rains, humid summer climate, so crimping or evening spread swath is important.

The driving forces in hay equipment locally.

Paul

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: disc cutters, small blades vs sawmill blades? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Galfre 190 drum mower and it has conditioning vanes on the drum that not only condition
the hay but also spread it out. No windrowing.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters