Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new chains I ordered for my little Kubota are way too long and I need to modify them. About the only tool I can find on-line is this one- Westward 45FF36 - about 80$. Does anyone have any experience with this tool? I tried all the buddies and farmers I know and no one has anything I can borrow.

https://www.amazon.com/Westward-45FF36-Chain-Repair-Plier/dp/B07KW6RFVL/ref=asc_df_B07KW6RFVL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385124939971&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13514974749893013260&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058780&hvtargid=pla-900491169487&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=80210701364&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385124939971&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13514974749893013260&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058780&hvtargid=pla-900491169487

Thanks,
Tim

SkipperII
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Used them way more times than I would have liked to.
Here's a link to same tool, for a little less. Westward 45Ff36 Tire Chain Repair Plier,32-1/2 L
$73.46
Zoro

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have chain tool made by KD tools I purchased about 40 years ago to use on semi chains.
It looks like this,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Light-Truck-Tire-Chain-Repair-Plier/46380793

I have used it on tractor chains but you do have to apply yourself.

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that lower price, but with my Amazon Prime free shipping, its pretty much a wash price-wise.

Thanks for the replies.
Tim

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive used similar before. They work great on truck sized chains. And are ok on general duty tractor chains. A bit light if you get into heavy duty tractor or skidder chains.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're just shortening the chains, do you need the tool at all? When I shortened my chains, I just removed one set of cross chains and cut the overall length a bit.

Here's a link for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Westward-45FF36-Chain-Repair-Plier/dp/B07KW6RFVL

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I plan to reposition all the cross chains and get them closer together, so I need the tool for sure. The chains are the style with a ring in the center of the tread, so each cross chain section actually has 4 hooks. Unless I move all the cross sections, I will have to remove 2 of the 6 cross sections to make the length correct.
Tim

JeremyR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have that same tool and used it for the same thing. I had no issues spreading and crimping the cross link connectors. These are heavy truck chains.

4wdtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have several pair of large ones sized for truck or tractor chains and several sized for car size chains. all work well. I have picked them up at swap meets/flea markets over the
years for $20 to $40. I have several because I would find another pair in very good/new condition or couldn't resist a lower price. They make chain repairs almost pleasant.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless I move all the cross sections, I will have to remove 2 of the 6 cross sections to make the length correct.

Yes, I have the same style chains. I removed only one set of cross chains, which leaves the chains a bit loose. I use rubber bungees to tighten the chains. Moving most of the cross chains sounds like a lot of work, but I agree the results should be a lot better than simply removing one or two sections.

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I googled the Walmart line in Duner's post. I have a pair like them(rusty of course). I didn't know what they were or how to use them. Not only that, but now I have find them and put them in the truck with the tire chains.
TY
SDE

Rod (NH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a pair just like the Westward 45FF36. They work great at removing and replacing heavy duty cross chains. The chains on my Bobcat, shown below, have 13/32 diameter round stock connecting links for the cross chains. You really need the extra leverage to spread and compress those links during remove/replace work. Well worth the money.

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod - thanks much! That looks like the same size tire and chain I have to work on! Ordered them yesterday anyway, but your reply sure helps.

Tim

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Pliers - Westward 45FF36? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have several pairs of chain pliers. They make adjusting chains waaaaaaay easier than hammers and chisels and vises. I almost owned another pair last Tuesday. I was at an auction, and the ring man held up a pair.

The auctioneer said what are those? Few yelled out that they were chain pliers, so he said sell the chain wrench! He could not even get a $5 bid, and I did not raise my hand quick enough, they threw a brand new bolt cutters in with them, and they brought $35 for thepair. Oh well, didnt need them anyway.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters