Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Transmission gears misaligned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeHulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Help a lady please.

My 1952 8N Ford Sherman transmission is making a very load and sharp metal on metal crack when turned over. A person advised my husband to re-align the gears after the transmission started to seize between 1 and reverse.

Can someone please share a photo of where everything in the transmission is supposed to be from the top plate down. Fluid is full, engine is brand new overhauled, new converted wiring system.

Lee

This post was edited by LeeHulcher on 01/13/2022 at 10:50 am.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LeeHulcher wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:50:11 01/13/22) Help a lady please.

My 1952 8N Ford Sherman transmission is making a very load and sharp metal on metal crack when turned over. A person advised my husband to re-align the gears after the transmission started to seize between 1 and reverse.

Can someone please share a photo of where everything in the transmission is supposed to be from the top plate down. Fluid is full, engine is brand new overhauled, new converted wiring system.

Lee

I can't really help you, but those that can will want to know some details, such as step up, step down, combination, so you might post whatever you can.

LeeHulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:11:07 01/13/22)
LeeHulcher wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:50:11 01/13/22) Help a lady please.

My 1952

I can't really help you, but those that can will want to know some details, such as step up, step down, combination, so you might post whatever you can.
Quote:

I do apologize but I don't have any idea what step up or step down consists of.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google is your friend! look at imiages and you will find what you want.
good luck

https://fordtractorcollectors.com/4-speed-transmission-locked-up-stuck-in-two-gears/

LeeHulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been there done this, not much help.

Can anyone recommend a specific URL or book that has this info??

Lee

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did you miss this?

https://fordtractorcollectors.com/4-speed-transmission-locked-up-stuck-in-two-gears/

LeeHulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looking at it now, thanks.

Jim L WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never had to do this, but from what I've read on here, when you remove the transmission top plate, be careful of a little spring at the back that can pop up and fall into the transmission.
Question, did this problem start right after the engine rebuild or sometime later?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim L WA wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:37:02 01/13/22) I've never had to do this, but from what I've read on here, when you remove the transmission top plate, be careful of a little spring at the back that can pop up and fall into the transmission.
Question, did this problem start right after the engine rebuild or sometime later?
Little spring on right, rear of transmission. It likes to stick to cover until lifted out of hole then fall into transmission. Sad
https://fordtractorcollectors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2gears5.jpg

LeeHulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

within a short time after, as it is only used a few times a month.

LeeHulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not ever recall seeing that spring, how do I get it out, if it did fall in??
Lee

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With a bit of luck, it MIGHT come out if you drained the oil, under the spring there should be a small steel ball. Maybe it caused the noise you are hearing! Probably not if the noise is really coming from the sherman gear box. I don't see how having the trans stuck in two would cause a noise from the Sherman.

LeeHulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will check in the morning and drain the system.

Another question please. Should the liquid in that system be slightly yellow and very clean? Dip stick says the tyranny is full and looks like it is brand new, kind of odd.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission gears misaligned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yellow or milky oil usually means water. These machine condensate a lot of moisture on the inside of the trans. Might be time for an oil change. Remember, there are three drain plugs and one fill point

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters