Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hydraulic Valve Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac AR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in the process of re-sealing the control valves on the 300. The first one I did, the garter spring came off when putting the O-ring in the bottom and was pain to get back on. Now it doesn't lock in when raising or lowering. Because of this, I moved the 3-point hoses from the hook-up under the fuel tank to the back of the battery box (where they should've been anyway) and plumbed them into the other valve.

The other valve hasn't been used until now, but has started leaking around the bottom plate as well. As is the cover plate on the regulator. I'm wanting to do a complete re-seal, but I want to avoid dealing with the garter springs again unless absolutely necessary. Does anyone have any good tips on doing this without having issues with the garter springs? Should I just go ahead and buy new ones and replace them while I'm in there? Any other information is welcome as well. I have all the O-rings already, just want some advice before diving into them.

Thanks,

Mac

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Garter springs hold the valve in activated positions. Yes, they can be difficult to install without
the proper tool. However, you can improvise and make a tool and there are several different ways. No
need to buy new ones if they are not broken which they often are.

A thin piece of pipe that will fit over the shoulder of the spool works as a tool but the retainer
has to go over the tool and a good taper on the tool is necessary for easy assembly as spring goes
into the retainer and slide down tool that is being held on to end of spool valve. A few slits in
the piece of pipe and then bent inward to form a tapered end works.

300guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have rebuilt several of these valves and long time ago I made a special tool out of a wooden dowel. I used an electric drill and a dremel tool to shape the revere nose cone area end in the picture. The other end I just shaped it by hand. It sure makes putting the garter spring on easy. You can buy a special tool to do this but the one I found was way more than I would ever spend on a tool like this!

Hayfarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I fought garter springs and one went somewhere in my shop. Finally figured out I could use a 9/16 deep impact socket. It is tapered at the end to get it started. I slid it up the 9/16 socket onto a deep 11/16 socket, open end away from the spring. Holding the socket drive ends together I could push spring onto 11/16 socket then use it to install the spring on carrier. I had a spare valve I could practice on. tried it several times and it worked well. you just have to play around with sockets you have to make it work. Since then I have put spring on valve on tractor.

charlieu
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a garter spring tool that I will sell you for $30 plus shipping. Without the tool they are a pain. My email is charlieu.repair@gmail.com

Mac AR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Email sent

Mac

Mac AR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, another question. I have a junk 300 with 2 more valves on it. I'd like to add a 3rd valve to the bank. How hard is that? Would I have to have any other hardware or could I just use the existing? Thinking about tearing the valves and regulator off the parts tractor and rebuilding them, then replacing the ones on the runner with the rebuilt ones later on. Make life a lot easier, I would think.

Mac

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are these garter springs something holding women's draws up?

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mac, you can add a third valve to the stack, as that was an option, but you also need the control lever hardware to run it, and in fact the entire control lever assembly may be completely different between the 2-valve and 3-valve configurations.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Valve Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters