Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Starting the 2140

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty6
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Starting the 2140 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-55 50 Ron wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:50:55 01/14/22) I hope this isn't taken as a hi-jacking of your thread but if anyone reading here is interested in old threshing machines www.pioneerpowershow.com

No problem hijacking threads Ron. I am probably more guilty of that than some.
The closest I came to threshing was when I used the Cockshutt 50 to power a Case thresher for a demo in town back in 2017. I just lined up to the belt and let the old 50 run while the other guys pitched sheaves into the feeder. It was hot hot weather but still a good time.

55 50 Ron
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting the 2140 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks in excellent shape and should be saved. Where located if you don't mind mentioning that?

Masseyharrisnut
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting the 2140 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Southern Alberta.

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting the 2140 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rusty....I am going to spend some of your money....That tractor was originally equipped with 2 batteries and it will make a huge difference if you went that route. Also run the ground cable to the engine block as opposed to the factory connection on the firewall. The other thing to check is if your hydraulic pump has a destroking screw. If so turning it in (clockwise) removes the load of the hydraulic pump load from the starter when cranking

rusty6
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting the 2140 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tech 7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:19:51 01/14/22) .That tractor was originally equipped with 2 batteries and it will make a huge difference if you went that route. Also run the ground cable to the engine block as opposed to the factory connection on the firewall. The other thing to check is if your hydraulic pump has a destroking screw. If so turning it in (clockwise) removes the load of the hydraulic pump load from the starter when cranking

Yes, it had two batteries when I got it but the starter was bad and also hard to keep the cable connections clean. I figured since I had been starting two other old diesels on one battery for years this John Deere should too. I'm still considering the 2 battery option. It had two ground cables on it both going down under the tray to the cast iron. I've read of the "de stroking" screw option for JD but don't know if this tractor has it. No mention of it in the manual.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters