Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case SC Valve issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Case SC Valve issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bubble gum, duct tape, baling wire, an old washer, whatever it takes to keep the Case machine rolling. Valve stem grew taller when it was recessed into the head further from grinding, making the spring to short to pull it closed. Requiring a shim under the keeper. Something to remember when having a head worked on. gobble

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Case SC Valve issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,that spring does no look like a match for the other ones, it has a lot more gap between coils than the others. lookin at the height of the ends of the rockers there does not seem to be a drastic height difference between that valve and it's neighbors. If a valve and seat were ground enough to loose all valve spring tension you should be able to see it there, I'm bettin that someone either substituted a spring off another head and did not get a spring the right length or the engine shop picked up a wrong spring after the valve work. Most Case springs are built with progressively closer gap in the coils toward the bottom of the springs, the spring in question is not built that way, look at the spring and then look at those in view, you will see what I mean.

J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Case SC Valve issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good eye to notice that! Its obvious now you
pointed it out. The original poster had also
stated tgat he had ordered and replaced that
spring, so he may have been sent the wrong
one or it may be an aftermarket design.

ptosean
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Case SC Valve issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you are all correct. I think I had a combination of every possible issue mentioned here. It is a new spring and the coils are different, but I think it is just an aftermarket design. They were the exact same size and length, and they felt very similar. I wasn't very happy with the shop that did the valve work. They took forever to do it and that was after me nagging them for a couple months. I don't think he checked spring tension, the only thing he said when I picked it up was that that was probably the last time I'd get away with grinding, next time valves and seats would probably need to be replaced. And I'm guessing that it'll need guides too.

J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Case SC Valve issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't be happy with their work either, but I also know a good machine shop is hard to find. Lucily I have a very good one close by. Sometimes it takes a while to get machine work done, but they do a lot of work and very honest. If they find something close to being out of spec they will ask if you want to proceed as is or replace the worn parts. I had them do the head on my SC last year with new valves, seats, guides and springs. I always save my old valves and springs for a just in case moment lol

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters