Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john connell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bet this is right down your alley if you know about old trucks and in this case, GMC Coach that hasn't been driven in almost 8 years. I've owned the retired 2104 for around 25 years. Back in the 70's, long before I bought it, she was converted to an RV and provided immeasurable fun for our family as we all grew up. I've probably put 25,000 miles on it over the years and never experienced a starting issue even once -- winter or summer. The bigger problem is that when I last filled the diesel tank was around 20 years ago and I remember paying around two dollars a gallon. She's been sitting almost all this time. But now I need to move the old girl and she doesn't want to wake up.
When I first tried to start the engine, I connected my battery and cranked the engine for about 10 seconds and sure enough, just as always, she came to life. With the reassuring purr of that wonderful old engine, with my confidence assured I turned my back allowing her to idle briefly while warming and lubricating all components inside. She ran for a short time, another 15 or 20 seconds and then shut down. I've since been unable to start her back up. I'm thinking that although the fuel is very old and there's probably 70 gallons of it in the tank, what I'd like to do is to burn it. It seems this could happen because initially she did run just fine although only for a short while. Certainly, this fuel was held mostly in the final fuel filter. Using the remote engine start at the rear, when I turn the engine over, I get only white smoke out the tail pipe. The smoke has the correct odor but she just wont catch. Ether comes to mind although I've NEVER had an need to try this so therefore I don't know where to even spray it. What ideas come to mind? I appreciate your thoughts.

Tom in Mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with you that it's probably a fuel delivery problem from the tank since it did run briefly. Have you checked the transfer pump?
Everything is old so diaphrams go bad just sitting. Diesel will get gummy too but you said it ran so fuel delivery.
I would not worry about the fuel being old unless it molded and clogged the tank outlet.

Tom in Mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and the white smoke is not enough fuel. Experience talking there.

Nordic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my one 671 I had a slight crack in the fuel pick up hose from the tank to the pump, causing it to start and then die. Your engine may well have started OK on the fuel in the system but began picking up air as soon as the pump started drawing fuel. Any mix of air in the system means no go. If you have a manual hand primer pump to attach you should hook it up and load the system with fuel. After a few years of Detroit engines for me I always carried the auxiliary hand pump under the passenger seat. White smoke, however, is a sign of uncombusted vaporized fuel from the injectors. Another 671 got a plugged 'sock filter' due to crap coming from the tank. You might do well to install all new filters. These engines are very bullet proof runners if they simply have fuel coming properly. Please let us know once you find 'the rat'.

john connell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your input.

john connell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like I need to first change out the fuel filters. It's been years ago and I'm thinking that they both need to be filled with fuel at the time they're attached. Also, the primer pump sure sounds like the right direction because a broken hose leaking air is very possible. I'm thinking I'll try to trace this out in the morning. Fortunately, I have original manuals and love the detail they used to include. Hopefully they'll have a procedure for assuring good fuel flow. Thanks for your input and I'll make it a point to let you know what develops. I'm still overwhelmed with this engine/bus and all the wires and hoses running everywhere. I don't think I mentioned that she's an old Greyhound passenger bus with lots of character and mysteries.

john connell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I can't believe it but I had a major amount of really good luck yesterday afternoon. Without having done anything at all other than check out my fuel line connections, I hit the remote start button at the rear end and she came to life. This time was a bit different though in that immediately after the secondary fuel filter there was a strong spray of fuel directly to the rear of the bus. Fortunately, I was far enough out of its position that I wasn't hit because it was directly at eye level as I squatted beneath the engine cover. I just let her run for a few minutes, just wasting the fuel but so amazed that all is fine again. I had sufficient amount of hose so I cut the leaking end off and reattached it only to find the exact same result. The next time I replaced the hose entirely and all is well. Thanks guys for your suggestions and you were right on the money. I love this old machine and I'm sure that now we have her back to reliability we'll be making many more necessary repairs getting her back on the road, Greatly appreicate your help. John

Tom in Mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit 671 Won't Wake Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

john connell wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:34:26 05/07/22) Well I can't believe it but I had a major amount of really good luck yesterday afternoon. Without having done anything at all other than check out my fuel line connections, I hit the remote start button at the rear end and she came to life. This time was a bit different though in that immediately after the secondary fuel filter there was a strong spray of fuel directly to the rear of the bus. Fortunately, I was far enough out of its position that I wasn't hit because it was directly at eye level as I squatted beneath the engine cover. I just let her run for a few minutes, just wasting the fuel but so amazed that all is fine again. I had sufficient amount of hose so I cut the leaking end off and reattached it only to find the exact same result. The next time I replaced the hose entirely and all is well. Thanks guys for your suggestions and you were right on the money. I love this old machine and I'm sure that now we have her back to reliability we'll be making many more necessary repairs getting her back on the road, Greatly appreicate your help. John

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters