Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sherman drive gears

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it possible to put Sherman gears in a 8N transmission without the lever to shift them. I bought an 8N that has the silver ring on the steering wheel that says Sherman but it has no shifter for it. It just seem a lot faster than my other 8n. Maybe a mixtture of parts in this old tractor???

KCM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look through the hole in the left side of the transmission case where the lever would have been. Maybe the Sherman is still in there but the lever broke off and it is was left in high range. Otherwise, gearing in all 8N tractors are the same. Any additional gearing would be in front of or behind the stock transmission.

warbaby
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure, you can have a Sherman without a lever! The combo Sherman lever just bolts on and the underdrive-only or the ultra-rare overdrive-only types have a pin that holds the lever on. If theres a hole on the LH bellhousing look inside for a square-ended shaft- thats a combo trans, or a round shaft for the others.

If theres no LH hole, look on the other side, maybe youve got a Hupp...

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe you have it backwards. The underdrive is a lot less common then the over drive

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe the knob on the dash is gone(I think they were overdrive only)

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cable sherman's were available in step up and step down.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you can fit the sherman in without a hole in the side of the case. I'm assuming you don't have a hole in the case.

If there is no hole on the side you might want to check the top of the case. I have seen the cables rotted so bad that there is hardly anything sticking out. Hole in dash may also give it away.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can also pull the starter or pop the steering box to check for sure.

warbaby
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup, I had it backwards. Too bad because if it were true, I'd be rich!

But then again, so would everyone else here...

Btzj02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I bought the old Ford, 8N52, I found a hole on the left side of the case. It was plugged with the tip of an old walking cane(?). There was so much greasy dirt on the old girl I didn't see it when I bought her. The forum folk told me it was most likely a hole for a Sherman transmission. I was pretty excited until I confirmed the PO had removed the transmission before selling to me.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

~~Oh~~ you shouldn't have said that. I have a Ford machine out in the yard that I picked up with a frozen dash cable. It was going to get sold cheap believing it was just a step up. Now with the possibility of a combo, I need to take a look.
Add that to my 'round tuit' list.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce , I have never seen a Sherman combo with a cable control.It is probably a step up with a step down being very unlikely.

8NChris
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well that was a bust. Poped off the starter, no Sherman

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cable system won't be a combo but could be a step down. Pull the starter and shine light inside. Red case step down grey case step up.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman drive gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your making that too easy. One of these mornings soon, while that machine is still in the shade, I will have to do that.
Thank you.
I figure red are currently going from $250 to $400.
A gray one should fetch 3 times more easily enough.
Hmm. . .
Then again, I do have a Ford 8N I could add it to.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters