Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

435 baler pto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordan watson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: 435 baler pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cv joint on my 435 is about shot and I was wondering if it could be replaced with the simpler pto yoke of a 430 baler. I really don't see the unnecessary weight and extra money for 250 bales a year.

Northvale PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 435 baler pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting question. My NI 5209 discbine has a CV joint. I think it is the slickest thing I ever saw driving machinery around turns. A u joint only goes bad while using it and I have lost many that I religiously greased. I bet it was standard equipment for a reason. Dont lower the design and function bar to save some $$$ and wind up losing major time right before a rain storm. Because that happens too.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 435 baler pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several yrs ago the CV joint on my JD 467 rd baler failed on a weekend. I removed the CV housing & installed a single u-joint. I had to grind timing index spines & visually time(phase) opposing u-joints of the telescoping shafts. Driveline operated fine when driving straight but of course vibrated more in turns. I also think drive chains vibrated more in turns from baler drive speeding/slowing during sharp turns.

I ordered new aftermarket front section driveshaft & discontinued my experiment. YMMV

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 435 baler pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You would have to change the entire tongue and drive line from another baler, if it would fit. The older design has a pedestal for the drive line at the front of the tongue. Geometry would be all S****d up which would result in early failure.

DanielW
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 435 baler pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did exactly the same thing on our 435 a few years ago. Used a bunch of more conventional parts to get going temporarily. It worked, but it was very, very unhappy when turning sharper corners. I doubt it would have lasted long like that, but it got us through the field.

You may be ok of you've got large, rectangular, prairie-type fields, but for our small, oddly-shaped fields I would not have wanted to use it as a permanent fix.

I got the parts to fix ours from a local driveline shop, but not sure I'd do that again as I think the price wasn't much different than what Deere charges.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters