Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Weekend hay, JD is price gouging

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northvale PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a long one: we finally got a stretch of good weather forecast after last Thursday night, so mowed down the last 8 acres of Timothy. A huge T-storm was bearing down on us from the north but fizzled out so we called it perfect. Perfect weather next 3 days, hay dried quickly. Raked and baled all. Then, the breakdown: on the last turn, the PTO cross bearing disintegrated and finally pulled out on the very last bale. Not a big problem as we have a second baler. But, the shaft yoke got damaged beyond repair. Now for the bad news: looked up the replacement part on JD Parts, and rather than just the weld on yoke, the part is the yoke + shaft. I am thinking $120 as reasonable. Maybe up to $200 knowing JD. I call the dealer and ask the price and hear $415. What is it with these guys? Do they think we like being ripped off? Are they trying to lose valuable customers? Well I am sharing the story so I guess they might. I went on line looking for options. Found Paul B Zimmerman supply. Cross referenced the size with a Weasley yoke, ordered it yesterday and it got delivered today. $67. I stand by the green tractor and machinery quality but these guys need to understand we have options. More small repair firms and fabricators are going into business all the time now for the older equipment parts. More power to them.

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The CEO of Deere is the first ever to have no connections to the John Deere family. He has a business degree and a degree in golf course management. The people running Deere do not care about small farmers, older equipment or even small dealerships. It is all about profit. All the companies have become way overpriced since the last two years events. It is sad but true. Tom

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know how you feel three pieces of steel for my Baler plunger guide on my 346, $611, well they gave me a free hat! Lol

K in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually Tom, much of what you say is not true.

Now for the real facts. John Deere has had no family connections since Robert Hanson took over in 1982. Then there was Hans Becker in 1990, Robert Lane in 2000, and Sam Allen in 2010. None of these former CEO's are in the Deere family.

The current CEO is John May. Mr. May does not have a degree in golf course management, but rather a Bachelors of Science Degree in Health Information from the University of New Hampshire, and a Masters Degree in Business from Maine.

Love Deere or hate it, but at least get the facts right.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey hey hey now that resident in that house is a good guy just think how much more things would be priced if he wasnt in there? Im sure he stays up late into the afternoon trying to figure out how to fix things, Its all a big misunderstanding its the other guy in Russias fault, lol, just kidding of course,

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$500.00 hat !

Northvale PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a place called Green Baler Parts on line. I sent my wiper arms to be rebuilt. Reasonable prices. They fabricate many of the wear parts now. Check them out.

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's cheap! New Holland wants almost 3 grand for a driveshaft for my discbine!

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think we all have a natural tendency to defer any preventative maintenance until after equipment breaks down.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Deere and money are the same color..GREEN!

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD wanted $430 for a starter for a 445,got one off ebay for $52 been working perfect.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just picked up a replacement roll-a-bar end for my JD rake. $396.00. I paid $500.00 for the rake 15 years ago.

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not saying pricing is right in all cases. Given the way our liability system works, JD (and other manufacturers) are likely trying to protect themselves somewhat. If they sell it as an assembly that slips together there is less exposure than selling you a yoke, you weld on the old shaft. With the assembly they know the shaft is good, can control the welding procedure, and quality. If they sell you the yoke for the shaft as a part for the shaft and you weld it on the old shaft, even if they provide a weld procedure, they have no control of the shaft condition or if you follow the weld procedure. How many farmers making weld repairs are tested, certified, and follow standard weld procedures? Just look up some of the discussions on welding seen on this site. If it breaks and someone is hurt a lawyer will make it JD's fault for selling you the yoke without knowing the shaft was ok for reuse, not controlling the weld procedure, or welder. I forget the actual legal term for this, but it falls under they enticed someone to do something they know could lead to problems. Not with a PTO shaft but in some other cases I have actually known of this happening in cases with injuries involved.

The aftermarket makes and sells you a yoke. They have less stake in how you use it than the manufacturer. They sold you a bare yoke and don't control how you use it. They will say they recommend the end user follow manufacturer recommendations and procedures.

So JD, or other manufacturer, stocks a slow moving assembly that cost them more to manufacture than just a bare yoke. Accountants say having inventory costs money, so the price goes up and it may soon be NLA.

Not saying any of this is right, but its the way things work. JMHO

Johnny Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a friend that had a bush hog brand rotary mower. The drive shaft from the center gear box to outer wing was junk. Went to dealer that sold bush hog and ask if they could get the shaft. Looked it up and said they could, price was 1350 dollars. We walked out and I told him about Des Moines Iron. Went there and They looked up the shaft by numbers on it and walked over and brought the complete shaft over, the price was 200 dollars and some change not only deere that over prices there parts.

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weekend hay, JD is price gouging Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got my bush hog pto shaft from Deere thru A and I at about half the price,

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters