Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Free lawnmower Jack stands

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you can't see are 4 inch deck screws in the 4x4 and the
holes are countersunk 1.5 inches..

Why all the armchair quarterbacking?

This only supports a 100# or so..

Please show me your free jack stands.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Geo-TH,In wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:46:07 08/05/22) What you can't see are 4 inch deck screws in the 4x4 and the
holes are countersunk 1.5 inches..

Why all the armchair quarterbacking?

This only supports a 100# or so..

Please show me your free jack stands.

Geo, it is highly unlikely that anyone will show you a free jack stand. Most people have a concern for safety, and even if we did have one the possibility of our insurance company seeing it is too great a risk. No More Death Machines!!

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No tools needed to remove the deck on my old JD tractors.
Just 2 pull pins, move a lever to remove belt tensioner, another leaver in front and slide the deck out.

Can you buy parts for your old Wheel horse?

A friend had a Wheel horse and blew the engine 2x.
He gave up on his..He had a tiller too.

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now a question for clarification. Does George have jack stands or is he just using just scrap wood laminated together to make blocking? My jackstands are metal and adjustable (self-contained). I call what he has pictured laminated blocking, serves the safety purpose, but not what one would be getting if buying jackstands at a store. Other opinions?

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well you preach cheap all the time and I would not want a 100 or so to land on me with a rube gold burg outfit like that. I would use a single bigger block for your job and not have the risk of it turning over sideways. Other wise I would just pick it up with the telehandler and work from beside it or set it up on blocks. I have lots of blocks around that are from 2x4's to 8x8' and various length from 1 foot to 8 feet or more depending on size of lumber. As for free some times you get what you pay for. 4 inch screws in end grain don't hold much. The reason I was recommending the 1/4 inch bolt clear through so it could pull on both ends and would not cost much different than your screws. Besides what is your health or life worth?

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When It comes to jack stands for cars, trucks, and tractors, I won't build them out of wood. I buy 5K jack stands and only use them on Concrete.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Build your jack stands how you see fit.
You haven't posted pics of yours.
I have 3 sets of wood mower jack stands.
They have never failed me. They will last me forever because they are kept inside..

I'll post back if mine ever fails.
I built my first set over 10 years ago.

You are making a big deal about nothing.
A mower doesn't weigh that much.
There is no reason the mower should fall off my jack stands.

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't build jack stands. I have purchased several sets of steel jack stands with different ratings. I have solid wood blocking (kept under cover), of assorted sizes to build cribbed stacks with, where the purchased metal jack stands don't work.

I have no doubt what you have put together will hold your mower and as for safety, is far ahead of working with a lawnmower setting on a jack. My point is there is a difference in what one calls a jackstand. When I read your post title, I was expecting to see what you had found for free lawnmower jack stands, something steel and fabricated to be adjustable, not left-over project wood screwed together for what I call dedicated blocking. Different expectations for the term, jackstand.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do know that in 200 years, those might be unsafe. Wink Nicely done!!

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Geo,

Here is what I use 4X8 blocks,

Guido.

710ltd2002
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Free lawnmower Jack stands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Geo-
Gees, what a minor thing for folks to get so fired up about! I havent seen them come after you like this in a while! I like your blocks, particularly the roll guards on the ends. And I know that given the low weight they bear, they will hold up long enough for our kids to build the replacements. Dave

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters