Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rear axle clunk?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1950 8N with a Sherman combo tranny. I just bought it from a neighbor. Noticed driving home a rhythmic clunk about every 3 revolutions or so of the rear tires. Some gear I guess but the every 3 rev's. or so has me wondering which one has the bad tooth or something? Experts please. Thanks. Love that tractor though. Runs well. Will paint. Thanks for any ideas.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check/tighten your lug nuts And the rim to
center bolts.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure the bolts that hold the rim to the center are nice and tight

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I will check tommorrow. There are new tires and outer rims on the tractor. ( Neighbor said cost around $1400) Sad

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh also I seen the pulley behind the fan is really loose and wobbly when I wiggle it, but the water pump is not leaking any? Thoughts?

Abbby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First check if the four bolts holding the fan are tight. If they are and the slop is in the pump you should consider changing it right away. You do not want the fan coming out of the pump and taking out you radiator costing you another $300.

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Word! Thanks

Abbby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If wheel bolts are tight jack up each side and push\pull on the top of the wheel to see if there is slop in the axle bearings. Maybe someone did not shim it correctly. Also slowly rotate the wheel to see if you can reproduce the noise.

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan. I'll let you know. Thanks.

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I'm back. I checked all of the above mentioned possible issues. Lug nuts where not very tight. Big axle nuts where just a little off there torque., outer rim nuts where tight. No Joy. Rhythmic clunk persits. Sad About every 3 rear wheel rotations I hear it pretty obvious. Sooooo- Bull gear maybe?? Can I check this through a hole somewhere?? Thanks for thoughts.

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh I forgot. Also no real side to side play at axles either. Just a tad.

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As noted below I think I checked all the possible problems but no joy. The every 3 revolutions or so for each clunk has me stumped. Could it be a tranny gear or something. Does the big bull gear turn once per tire revolution?

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The differential ring gear turns once per tire revolution.
From on old post in the archives https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=610343

ALL N-Tractors have the same diffy gears (6.66:1) ratio.

So I guess if there were to be a damaged tooth on the ring gear and also a damaged tooth on the pinion it could be possible that the damaged teeth just happen to come together every 3 1/3 revolutions of the rear tires. Maybe. IF that is your problem.

If you pull the left axle trumpet the differential assembly will come right out. It is heavy. Then you can inspect the gears. Maybe if you pull the PTO shaft and have one rear tire off the ground and a helper turn the tire while you watch through the PTO hole you can see if there is any damage to the ring gear. Or stick an inspection camera in there you can see better.

Sometimes the bolts or rivets that hold the ring gear to the differential come loose. One would think in that case the noise would be happening more often. Same with something amiss in the transmission.

I don't have any ideas, sorry.

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like that train of thought. I will pull the pto shaft and tale a peak. Thanks Smile

sjg56k
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle clunk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have cherry picker. Can I pull the left axle trumpet less tire as a unit with the axle still in it?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters