Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trouble shooting hydraulic system on 4030

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8nidaho
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Trouble shooting hydraulic system on 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an early model 4030 that I am trying to troubleshoot the hydraulic system using the test procedure in the John Deere manual. I suspect an internal leak or leaks.
I heated the hydraulic fluid to 110 and have gauges installed on the test ports. I also installed a destroker valve.
Step #3 has you set engine speed to obtain 10lb lube pressure with oil temperature at 110 . You then destroke the oil pump and record oil pressure and listen for a change in engine load.
My results were an increase of about 2lbs. when destroked. I only noticed an engine load change (momentary increase in load) when I backed out the destroke valve and the pressure returned to 10 lbs.
My question is about which of the three different results possible in the manual my result matches.
Result #1
0-3 psi increase and same load

Result 2
More than 3 psi increase

Result 3
0-3 psi increase but load decreases

I don t know if they are talking about load decreases when the pump is destroked or when the pump is returned to pumping function.

Which result of these three does my result fit into?

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble shooting hydraulic system on 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For what reason are you checking,,what has failed..

8nidaho
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble shooting hydraulic system on 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-tim s wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:43:48 08/05/22) For what reason are you checking,,what has failed..

Thank you for replying.

I bought this tractor some years ago. Hydraulic functions get slow when the oil gets warm.
The tractor was equipped with the thermal hydraulic shunt valve when I bought it. This was a kit to try to keep the pto from engaging ( without being engaged)before the system got up to operating temperature. Removing this valve helped out, but the issue remains. The tractor also came with a 158 loader which was plumbed into the scr s. Thanks to this forum, I bought a loader control valve, power beyond and a ported filter. This helped some, but the problem remains. Slow unresponsive hydraulics, chattering and front pump cavitation when hot.
I have purchased caps to plug the line going to the pressure control valve and to the steering and other functions fed by the steering supply line. I have not capped these yet. Thought I would follow the step by step procedure in the manual. Unfortunately I am stuck close to the beginning of that procedure because I am unsure of how to interpret the manual.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shooting hydraulic system on 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Technically on JD closed center hyd system one doesn't need to use PBY block & ported hyd filter cover simultaneously. Either one used separately is adequate for CC hyd system. Has hyd filter been replaced lately & hyd oil screen checked/cleaned?. Does FEL valve have a closed center conversion plug or is it strictly for closed center system. If FEL is the convertible type from (OC to CC) has FEL control valve relief valve been closed 100% or at least to where it will hold 2250 psi??

Cliff Nelson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shooting hydraulic system on 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Result #1 if the only load change is only momentary. Continue with the test procedure. Heating to 150 degrees may help with diagnosis since you said the problem gets worse as the tractor gets warmed up.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble shooting hydraulic system on 4030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are the selective control valves heating up ?? strong chance the over worked SCV's are leaking through robbing your stand by pressure

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters