Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
a couple people in a tractor club own a Cub and is a nice small tractor for my yard. This one comes with a front blade which interested me to plow my 300 foot gravel drive. I have an old Ford 16HP diesel, but just not strong enough to make normal passes in heavier snow.
I have not seen it yet. The owner said low hours (but I did not ask how many). The owner said it sat a while - always in a barn - but a little cleaning of the carb and fresh gas, it started right up and runs really well.
What sort of things should I look for and ask?
thank you. carl

wore out
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your 16HP Ford is 1/4 ''bigger'' than
your prospective Cub!

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it runs and drives and the price is
right get it!

Maybe less HP than your ford but a cub
is a strong little tractor!

SinkholeRoad
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CFB wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:59:41 09/22/22) Hello,
a couple people in a tractor club own a Cub and is a nice small tractor for my yard. This one comes with a front blade which interested me to plow my 300 foot gravel drive. I have an old Ford 16HP diesel, but just not strong enough to make normal passes in heavier snow.
I have not seen it yet. The owner said low hours (but I did not ask how many). The owner said it sat a while - always in a barn - but a little cleaning of the carb and fresh gas, it started right up and runs really well.
What sort of things should I look for and ask?
thank you. carl

I am a fan of the Farmall Cub. I also recommend buying one if it seem to be a good buy. However, do not but it expecting it to do what the 16 hp ford diesel can do.

Check for leaks once warmed up, check for smoking exhaust, clutch action, tire condition, etc.

CFB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks so much. Good advice by all. I guess I did not realize what the Cub's HP was. And I guess I was thinking the larger AG tires would help me push snow better than my Ford. But I know it would be fun to have and drive in parades.

I'll call the owner tomorrow but I'm pretty sure there is a plow included. If the Cub is lacking power ( maybe that is an incorrect assumption - 10hp Cub vs my 16hp Ford lawn/garden/tractor), how does it plow the garden up? Would it struggle at that?

thanks again to everyone.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As per the HEB test the Farmall Cub come in at 12HP but if your Ford is a riding lawn mower type tractor the Cub can work circles around it but if your Ford is a compact tractor the Cub may not work as well.

Old Ford Mechanic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Cub is a good gardening tractor with its front mounted cultivator. Also a good mowing tractor with a
belly mounted mower. It does not have the weight or horsepower to push wet snow or dirt well at all. It will
handle a single disc plow and do a decent job with it in good soil. Not so great in rocky ground. A trade up
to a larger compact tractor with 4WD with a box blade or loader would be the answer to your driveway
maintenance.

Jim in NC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much snow do you have to deal with each winter? That would seem to go a long way towards what
kind of tractor to get. I grew up next to a neighbor farmer that had a Cub and my grandpa who owned
a Super A. Both used them in the winter with a Farmall front mounted blade. Both were happy with
the work the tractors did. After having used both I'd prefer a Super A. I know that's not what you
asked. I think you would be surprised by a cub, and you would have to get some experience operating
one to get the most out of it. In heavy snow most likely you would need to push the snow multiple
times as it fell and accumulated to keep your driveway clear.

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbor had a 55 Cub with rear blade. He used it for moving snow. Used chains on
the tires. The blade would only raise up about 8 inches.

I used a Ford 4000 and other neighbor had a 801 diesel. I don't recall either of us
having to pull the Cub out of the snow.

BearGap
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used a cub on our farm for 30 years, and it is a fine little tractor. One of the nice things is that it is very easy to drive and the wife and kids had no problem using it. Make sure the one you are interested in has hydraulics. Accessories like the front plow, sickle bar mower, and belly mower (all of which I have) are unique to the cub, so anything you can get with the tractor is good. I used to plow snow and move bedding with ours, and you absolutely will need wheel weights or some other weight over the rear to do that effectively. I now use a bigger tractor (Ford Jubilee) for snow, but I was able to clear snow over a foot deep from my 300+ ft drive with the cub before, although sometimes I had to hurl the tractor into the pile to make progress. The bigger and heavier tractor has a lot less of an issue. These days the cub is mostly used for mowing in tight areas and for spreading manure and gets used every week year around.

G.S.G.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had a cub since early 70's. Used it to mow lawn (+2 acres) for 25 years. Now use it only for plowing snow and plowing garden. It is part of the family
and hope to pass it along to a member of the family. Along with the mower deck, I have a front blade, plow, disc, and a cycle bar mower. The tractor has
hydraulic with a 1-point quick hitch. It a fun little tractor to drive.

riverbend
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It does seem like the lawn mower horses are smaller than the farm tractor horses. Many make more power than my H.

Tom in Mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have owned several Cubs and looked at many more. Listen for a knock in the engine. That'll be the broken crankshaft that breaks right behind the front pully/front seal. If no knock, then likely the crank has already been replaced which is good because they have an excellent chance of breaking.
They will run fine with the crank broke here but usually knock.

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need to know the model of tractor that you are
comparing the Cub to. Hard to make a comparison
based only on horsepower.... tractor weight is more
of a factor in moving snow than horsepower. Just
guessing, a 16 horsepower Ford other than a
garden tractor would be a model 1200. IF your old
diesel Ford is in fact a 1200, the weight is a little
over 1300 pounds. The Cub at 1800 pounds would
be an improvement, provided the tractor is set up
properly (tire chains, for instance), over the 1200, 6
less hp. notwithstanding. Also bear in mind that part
of the horsepower calculation is the speed it takes
to move a certain load. Any Jap diesel in a Ford
turns approximately 3000 rpm whereas the Cub
turns about 1800rpm. So, at the flywheel, the Cub
and the 1200 are reasonably close, with the heavier
tractor being the victor.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Almost ready to buy a Farmall Cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about a video of some of my cubs in
the garden?
Cub garden

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters