Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evahlast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone, nice to meet you.... I'm a long time follower, and this is my first post.

Just recently had a problem this past winter. My fuel filters froze solid. While trying to snowblow, the engine died.

I ended up leaving until spring and used my side by side to finish snow removal duties.

I changed the fuel filters, used wix brand and made sure the rubber seal was placed in the ridge on the tractor and not on the filters.

Primed like crazy and was able to get it partially running using starting fluid to help start. There were leaks everywhere. I ended up getting a gasket kit.

Installed the gasket kit, but can't get it to run on its own. It won't even start on its own either.

I have tried getting it to start by towing. This works, but once the tow is over it will not run on its own.

When bleeding there is diesel at each of the injectors as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
There were leaks everywhere. I ended up getting a gasket kit.
Installed the gasket kit, but can't get it to run on its own.

Did you replace any Gaskets on the FUEL pump, as per picture.???

Bob..

Evahlast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh yes. We changed the square gasket for the top of the pump, and many washers here and there that came with the kit..... (ie- replacements for the bleed screws on pump, etc)

Do you think one of the pieces from the gasket kit could be our culprit?

Evahlast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention is we have
made sure the pump is lined up timing
wise....

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As per picture.
Bob..

Evahlast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Top was removed, spring was connected and
Was connected in the proper manner....

Evahlast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks so
much for the replies and suggestions so
far.... it is greatly appreciated....

One thing I noticed today as we towed it,
they tractor runs as we tow, but there
isn't the normal black cloud coming from
the exhaust....

Evahlast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing that I have also noticed is there is no difference if I pull
The stop lever while trying to start the tractor....

I have checked inside the top and the lever is hooked....

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure the fuel shut off got lined up properly when the top cover was put back on (It's not very difficult for it to get misaligned when it goes back together).

Evahlast
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ptfarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:51:29 09/22/22) Are you sure the fuel shut off got lined up properly when the top cover was put back on (It's not very difficult for it to get misaligned when it goes back together).

We double checked this numerous times this morning and it seemed right...

Thanks for the suggestion by the way, it is appreciated.

Does anyone know if there is anything else that could cause this type of response from the tractor? Is there some type of plunger attached underneath maybe?

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mf 135, 1974 perkins diesel no start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe something with the injector pump, hopefully Dieseltech will chime in.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters