Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Figuring out ear corn yield

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good Morning all,

So I've been thinking about putting out some corn next year to be picked as ear corn, no variety etc. picked out yet. I've been looking online but haven't found a good explanation on how to roughly figure out bushels per acre I should expect to yield. Most of the results I find are for shelled corn.

Thank you!

Brown Dirt Cowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmmm, this one is going to be a real head scratcher. But shouldn't the yield be the same as all that shelled corn had to come off the same ears? Around here we always figured corn at 72 lbs for bushel of ear corn and 56 lbs for shelled.

joepa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you! I'm sure I'm making this harder than it needs to be.. haha

When I was reading the online information there are good explanations showing counting kernels per ear and doing the math on the test area to show the number of
shelled bushels per acre. I'm more looking for, say I plant 10 acres at 3,000 seeds per acre giving me 30,000 plants and hopefully ears. Roughly how many
bushels will these 30,000 ears make? My thoughts when looking at shelled vs. ear per acre are the actual grain yield is the same but the volume is different, due
to the loss of the cob. Since I'm picking as ear corn I'm trying to figure out how big of a corn crib I need to build.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

''I'm trying to figure out how big of a corn crib I need to build.''

Not very big if that's all your plant population is going to be. Try 22,000 to 27,000 per acre, depending on what part of the country you're in. You need to be figuring crates, not bushels of corn. Corn cribs sizes are figured in crates. A general rule of thumb is to figure about double. 1000 crate crib will shell roughly 500 bushels of shelled corn.

Here's an old post with the exact same question asked and answered.
Link

Hay hay hay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this link.

https://beef.unl.edu/estimating-bushels-corn-ground-counting-ears-prior-grazing-cattle#:~:text=An%208%2Dinch%20ear%20of,of%20corn%20can%20be%20estimated.

joepa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for the links and information! It's definitely helpful and I appreciate it.

Sorry, typo and lack of proof reading. I meant to say 30,000 seeds per acre (just figuring high and for easy math). I've never heard a crib being rated in crates, around here I've always heard sizing in bushels. I'll do some homework. Thanks again!

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Id never heard of the term crates for ear corn either. New one on me.

A bushel of corn is the same amount of yellow corn, on the ear or shelled.

The bu of shell corn should weigh about 56#, the bu of ear corn will weigh about 70# because of the weight of the cob.

Ear corn takes up about 40% more volume than shell corn, you might want to go 50% more volume as it packs after a while and shrinks. So do you measure early or late to get the ear corn volume......

Paul

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess a crate of corn is like ''shucking''. Nobody can tell me what shucking is but what I can give them another name for what they're describing.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out ear corn yield Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can't weigh it and measure the moisture you might estimate it by volume. One bushel = 1.24 cubic feet, or one cubic foot = 0.8 bushel.

We estimated that ear corn took twice the volume of shell corn, one bushel ear corn = 2.48 cubic feet, or one cubic foot = 0.4 bushel of ear corn.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters