Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD A Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nh8260
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: JD A Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drove my 46 JD A a couple months ago and did good, i got it out the other day and when i tried to back up a small hill the clutch pulley and tractor
stopped, so i adjusted the 3 nuts inside the pulley and today I hooked up my grain cart and was going to auger a couple thousand pounds of shelled
corn out, same thing....moved the cart around ok but would not turn the PTO at all. The pulley made a half turn and just stopped, not sure what to
check next. Anyone ever had this problem?

Loosehandle
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: JD A Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you adjusting the 3 clutch nuts uniformly with the clutch engaged to a good snap? Also it's important to replace the cotter pins and have castellated nuts. Another bad problem that can affect clutch is the driving disc being loose on crankshaft but hopefully you don't have that.

nh8260
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: JD A Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It does a good snap to disengage but engaging i don't get a good snap every time. Yeah i do the nuts all the same. Need to adjust it more?

Loosehandle
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: JD A Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well it sounds like your adjusting it properly, maybe it's time to dismantle and check the linings and actuating fork etc. That would involve removing the driving disc from crankshaft, your tractor should just have 2 clutch linings

nh8260
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: JD A Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loosehandle, i had one other question about the tractor, i had the carburetor rebuilt awhile back, i installed it and set the idle and load to where i had it before taking it off, the settings were right in line to what the company said to put them. Problem is now, if i start down a hill or pull the throttle lever back the tractor either backfires or shoots fire out the stack, i've adjusted the carb, checked the valves but it still does it. What am i missing?? Before i removed it the tractor never backfired but it would only run on half choke or more so it was time for a good cleaning and rebuild.

Rusty wheel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: JD A Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Time for a complete clutch rebuild including toggles and dog bones.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters