Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 4000 bad engine leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havana7
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Ford 4000 tractor is throwing engine oil out of that
small inspection plate left side on the bellhousing ,
you can see a little smaller gear in there , it just
pumps it out as the engine is running any idea before I
split it. Would a rear seal throw that much out so fast ,
10 seconds a gallon of oil on the floor. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I assume that this is a 3 cylinder 4000. That "inspection cover" covers the hole where the engine mounted hydraulic pump would mount on models that do not have independent PTO. The gear inside is what would drive the pump. The gear is on the rear end of the camshaft. It is inside the part of the engine that should receive lubrication, so there should be oil in there. The cover should have a gasket under it and it should have 4 bolts holding it in place that should be screwed down good and tight to prevent oil from leaking. First thing I would do is get a new gasket (part number 81822547) and tighten down all 4 of the bolts and see if it continues to leak. Messicks.com says they have 16 of the gaskets in stock, so you should be able to get one from them or any New Holland dealer. If it still leaks, then the cover may be warped or bent, or the surface on the block around the hole may not be flat and even, or either of the mating surfaces may need to be scraped clean of any old gasket material.

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Sean says there is oil present but there is a pressure port that supplied oil to engine mounted hyd pump that would leak. It has 30-60 psi oil pressure supplied to it,

Havana7
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to add sir it drain all the oil out of my engine oil pan. Good thing I stopped it right away cant be normal

Havana7
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it is a 3 cylinder gas Mike K

Havana7
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also forgot to add I had that plate bolted on loosely
never dreamed oil would be coming out of there.

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That plate covers a oil port coming from the main oil galley, leaving the cove plate loose would be like poking a hole in the oil filter

Havana7
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 bad engine leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow am I ever a idiot didnt know any better, will seal
it up hopefully didnt do any damage. Thank you to
everyone who replied to my problem. Mike K

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters