Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

The 10 Year Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This past weekend, I drove this one out of the shop for the first time in 10 years. And this is the first time in about 30 years that it has seen the light of day as a complete tractor - not just a pile of parts. It's a 1950 side mount.

This has been a project I took on in late '12, but between being newly married with a 130 year old house to repair, a new dad a year later, running the family farm, and lacking a heated shop, I didn't have much time to work on the project. However, things changed winter before last. My then 6 year old showed some interest in the project, which was the inspiration to get moving again on it. We've used whatever spare time we've had to put it back together, and we've had a blast working together. Having a very mechanically inclined kiddo is really helpful when you have to get at small parts and your hands are too big.

Oil pressure is about 22psi hot and 15psi hot idle. Starts really easily, hot or cold and seems to have plenty of power. It does smoke a bit, and has a persistent popping that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm hoping both issues will go away after it gets a work out. Maybe sticking rings and a sticky valve.

As a little aside, I now farm the farm that this tractor was used on, using my 1949 8N and my 1958 961D.

In the end, this tractor will be going to a friend's farm a few miles out of town. We bartered hay for the tractor summer before last, during the bad drought here. But I've got another tractor, a 1940 9N, that I salvaged from the scrap man. That is going to be my son's tractor.

Colin, MN

HarryVanderpool
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks really nice!
The popping problem can have a few causes, but the most common that I have seen is a worn throttle shaft.
As the shaft wears, which they all eventually do, air is able to get sucked in.
Mostly noticeable during deceleration, but also sometimes at Idle.
Just put your hand around to the back of the carb, grasp the throttle shaft and see if you can notice any run-out.
You can buy a new shaft and / or some kits include one.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks great Colin! And even more exciting to complete the project with your son!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice tractor and nice story Colin.
Thanks.

Walston
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Outstanding work. Congratulations on your persistence.

Abbby
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congrats

Lynn Patrick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great job, Colin!

Best to you and the family.
75 Tips

Jim L WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto what all the others said. Nice job.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim!

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Bruce! I hope you're getting a little break from the garden. We were able to harvest collards and kale into early November, but it's been cold here. Merry Christmas to you and Maureen.

Colin

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Lynn

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Abbby.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Walston

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The 10 Year Project Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Jerry! A Merry Christmas to you and yours.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters