Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 861 Instrument Panel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
datacommand
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am restoring my Ford 861 Powermaster. The original dash had three gauges and a dash light (not connected to anything). The original gauges were water temp, oil pressure and amps. My fuel tank has a float assembly for a fuel gauge, and it is more important to me to know my fuel levels without having to drop a yard stick in the fuel tank, so I replaced my amp gauge with a fuel gauge. I can always get my tractor home if I have fuel, normal water temp and good oil pressure. So my I want to replace my amp gauge with an alternator warning light.

The problem is I don't know what alternator light assembly I need. The tractor was upgraded to 12 volt negative ground with an alternator.

My second question is regarding the two openings for warning lights in the dash. What are they originally used for?

datacommand
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's the panel.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amp gauge was never a factory gauge on the 801 series. I have an 841S and it doesn't have an amp gauge

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 01 series never had an amp meter. They had a charge light. You need a three wire
alternator and a new dash light with a 12 volt bulb. Then connect the excite wire from
the alternator to one side of the bulb. The other side connects to the ignition switch

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The second light hole was for the SOS lubrication pressure light.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a 3 wire Delco 10SI here is the diagram.

If you have a 1 wire Delco, there is a rubber plug over the aux terminals, you can remove the plug and
install a harness plug to access the #1 terminal, nothing on the #2.

You will also need a lamp socket with 2 wires, not a grounded base socket.
Alternator Wiring

datacommand
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a KCP 2095191 (MOPAR 1966-74 I believe). Picture below. Is the clip across from the battery post goes to the voltage regulator. Can I get an excite wire off of this alternator or do I need to replace the alternator?

This really helps guys, what started a replacing a ring gear 3 years ago has blown up into a full blown restoration.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 861 Instrument Panel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know of any way to get a dash light from that alternator.

It is a simple and reliable alternator, but still used an external mechanical regulator.

It could be replaced with a Delco, but would require a mount modification.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters