Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

93 Ford 250 straight 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark from the Fort
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found a very nice (faded, but rust free) F250 pick up. Mostly needed for hauling wood, BUT, want to be able to haul my Fergy 35 (3500 lbs.) to shows.
My father "loved" the ol' straight six's in his work vans. and he even used them to haul a tractor or two home from auctions.
My question to the "Ford Fella's" out there is:
How difficult are these to rebuild? How much am I looking at? It has 146,000 miles, sounds alright, but has oil leaks ALL over; vavle cover, power steering, rear diff. etc.
I can get her for $700.00, and think the body alone is worth it, but want opinions on this engine (4.2 I think). How much it can pull, is this a bad choice for pulling a small tractor?
Any input appreciated, thanks fellas. Mark

ohio
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best engine dorf ever made. pull it, new seals & gaskets, set it & forget it!

BENJAMIN KIMM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heck of a motor!!!lots o torque but lower hp... they are verry notorious for bad rear main seals...mine was a great pickup...have fun with it!!

jb4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the best motors ford ever made! They are known to last for high milage and are one heck of a truck engine. 4.9 liter and about 150hp 285ish torque. Best if it has a manual trans. Will haul anything just not fast in stock form. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Heck ford put many of them in truck up to F600!

Mark from the Fort
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you mean in stock form......well, I know what you mean, BUT......what sort of "improvement goodies" do they make for it?
NOW, you've got my attention.
Seriously, thank you and the others for the input.
I am getting pumped now.
Mark

jb4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would recomend you go tho fordsix forums they have all the info you need on the 300/6. I have one in my '71 f100 and i have a higher lift cam, headwork, 4 barrel water heated intake and efi headers and it put out good power. As for you fuel injected model you can start with the usual stuff like freeing up exhaust. Most say this is a good improvement and then i would just put in a mild rv cam. Crane makes a good one for your application (towing and hauling). Remember it will never be a 460, but it will be the most easy, reliable motor to work on. You cant go as crazy with fuel injection performance as you can with carb but if its just a work truck you dont want that. I love low reving torque motors and it had plenty of power for me and i am only 20. I guess i dont need much.

john_Bud
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 300 six was a great reliable engine, but not a high mpg queen!

They made lots of low end torque, but sucked the juice down. Check the compression of the cylinders. The ends tended to run leaner and wore a bit faster. Change the rocker arm cover gasket and call it good. A little dribbling is how they keep themselves rust free, sort of a protective adaptation.

You can probably tow 5000 pounds with that truck with no problems at all.

good luck,
jb

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbor has one in his truck and he pulls a tri-axle goosneck trailer with 12 round bales of hay on it. He's never won a race, but he has always gotten the hay home. (Literally 1000's of big bales!)

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have an 82 e-350 van witha 300 six, three on the tree transmission. has a bucket on it with a 28 ft stick. dang good running ole gorl. its beat to heck had trees fall on it, it will sit 6 months in the barn and then start right up. buddy of mine had an f-250, 1977 4x4 300 six, added a 4bbl holley , header and some assorted goodies. that truck really woke up. good motor,

Ohio88

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 78 F100 with 370,000 plus miles. The 300/6 is the best engine I ever had. Pulls a lot and the truck has taken a ton of abuse and kept on going. The Valve cover gasket has been change a number of times. The only other seal on the engine replaced was the rear main. The starter lasted 348,000 miles and the Alternator lasted 350,000 with on set of new brushes. I have pulled over 9000 lbs with this truck The engine did fine the truck was too light to do this very far.

Good luck with yours

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why does everybody worry about how much they can pull with their pickup? I want to be able to stop what I've got moving. You can pull the world with a lawn mower if the right gearing and big enough lever just can't do it very fast, and sure can't stop it with it.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Ford 250 straight 6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For a 3/4 ton it'll be a little underpowered depending on who you talk to, but I've got an 88 F150 w/ the 4.9 (300) straight 6 w/ the Mazda 5 sp. behind it and it's bullet proof. I did have to replace the oil pan after it rusted through, but now it doesn't loose any oil, or not enough to really notice it on the dipstick.

I've pulled 8 ton loads of hay with it 30 miles from the auction barn. Slow going and had to be very alert, but it pulled the loads just fine.

For a small tractor, it won't be a problem. I rented a heavy skid steer trailer and pulled home a 4 bottom semi-mounted plow that probably weighs a good 1 1/2 ton if not more. I just kept it no faster than 50-55 on the highway and still did it on about 16-17 MPG round trip.

Donovan from Wisconsin

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters