Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

7.3 Powerstroke vs. Cummins

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wardner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 Powerstroke vs. Cummins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '98 4x4 one-ton Dodge/Cummins developed the "death wobble". Just hitting an expansion joint on a bridge would set it off. New tires fixed the problem.

Wardner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 Powerstroke vs. Cummins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '98 4x4 one-ton Dodge/Cummins developed the "death wobble". Just hitting an expansion joint on a bridge would set it off. New front tires fixed the problem.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 Powerstroke vs. Cummins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got several heavy 3/4 ton, single wheel diesel trucks. All extended cab, all 4WD, all diesel, all long box. My 94 Ford with 7.3 turbo (not a Powerstroke) has been a great truck - but fuel mileage empty has never been good. E40D trans, and 4.10 axles. Gets a best of 14.5 empty.
My 85 with the 6.9 - 4.10 axles and C6 trans gets 11-12 empty.
My 92 Dodge with the 12 valve, turbo-intercooled 5.9 is much better on fuel empty, and a little better pulling a trailer. Has 3.50 axles and a Gertrag 5 speed manual. Gets a consistent 20 MPG empty. It has incredible low-end torque - much better than the Ford 7.3. Once it's in 5th OD, I rarely have to downshift. But, when the pedal is down a bit, and turbo boost comes up, they both pull about the same. Of course, the Ford should have an advantage with the 4.10 axles. If the Dodge did, I'd probably never use 1st gear.
The Ford rides much nicer than the Dodge, but the transmission is not very durable. It's been torn down around every 100K miles, sometimes less.
The Dodge rides like a 60s dump-truck when empty - - but is bullet proof and I trust it to do anything. The Dodge is my work truck, especially for trailer pulling. I pull a ball-hitch trailer with a couple of full cords of hard maple and red oak - and usually get 13 - 14 MPG on flat roads.
My Ford does the same and gets around 11 MPG.

I like them both - but the Ford is getting to be more of our vacation cruiser - or light trailer tower. It's got a gooseneck hitch and was worked hard it's first 200K miles - but that was before I had the Dodge.

I just came back from a 2000 mile trip through Michigan and Canada. Had a slide-on 1800 lb. camper on the back and was loaded with a lot of gear. We took the Dodge this time due to winter roads full of road salt. My Ford is a rust-free southern truck and I'm trying to keep it that way. So, the Dodge got 17 MPG for an overall average loaded this way. Considering the weight and wind resistance - I doubt anything will do much better. The Ford gets 14.5 MPG with the same load on the same trip.

If I had to trust my life to a truck - especially being worked hard - I'd have to pick the Dodge.
When I drive the Ford, I always find myself thinking about the next transmission failure - and it's been heavily beefed up already.

That all being said - I put 520,000 miles on my 87 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.2 diesel, 3.73 axles, and a TH400 trans. It did a lot of trailer pulling - but never over 5000 lbs. Got 18-19 MPG empty, 13 MPG pulling a light trailer - but it lacked power for hill climbing. And, without the turbo really lost power at high elevations. My son has it now in Colorado - and driving at 5000 plus feet - mileage dropped 2-3 MPG until he put a turbo on it.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters