Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

some old tools,, I thought they were cool,

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maplehillfrm,pat---pictur

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a wooden workbench at an auction last summer that was hand made by the owner, he was quite a craftsman, it was full of tools,and stuff,, I was going through one of the drawers tonite and straightening up, I came across these old tools , I thought maybe you would be interested,
Photobucket
The one in teh top left corner says AIRWAY J.H. GLOVER CO. CHICAGO,, I looked it up and says it is a polyphase scriber,, no idea what its for though?????

The screw drivers are in excellant condition and are ONE PIECE of steel, flattend a bit for the handle,, looks like maple handles, and riveted on,, they dont make em like that anymore huh?/

the round can is an old snap chaulk line,, Thought that was cool

Photobucket
and the lock is just a solid brass lock with keys,, the keys have nice engravings on them,,

not sure what vintage they are ,, but it is nice to see they are still in good condition

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The other tool looks like a scribe. The thing with the thumb screw is adjustable for marking boards.

If I buy a woorkbench at an auction, it's full of mice. Nice buy.

Larry

maplehillfrm,pat

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea thats usually my luck when I buy anything with drawers in them, mice nests everywhere,,

I actually found a write up on teh airway scribe,, it is apparrently a cutter for the linoleum, when it first became popular, it says around the 40's.

a marking scribe was my first thought as well, I dont do much linoleum work,, so I may just try it as a wood scribe,, now that I could use,, have a great one,pat

Fred Martin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The screwdrivers are made by Irwin Co. in Wilmington, Ohio. I first saw them while in the navy. Decided right there that I wanted one. When I finally found them for sale at Day's Hardware in New Vienna, Ohio in 1963...I was less then 20 miles from where they were made. Had a girlfriend that worked there and now have one of each size. They are , I suppose, the heaviest screwdriver made...probably the reason the navy used them as the heavy steam fittings and valves required the sturdiest in tools...even wrenches called "slugging wrenches" that you pounded on with a sledge hammer. So, now that you know what you have, bet you'll take extra good care of them. ohfred

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a few of those Irwin screwdrivers, and
like that you can hit em with a hammer.
You can still get them, made in China, from
I think,Harbor Freight

maplehillfrm,pat

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oh yea,, they are nice heavy duty built for sure,, I know that these will stay in the basement shop ,, and they will probably from the looks of them be handed to my sons,, the cool thing is if they are the same vintage as the ones you purchased in 1963,, they are as old as I am,, just turned 45 last month hahah,,thanks for the info. pat

Fred Martin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to the girlfriend a few years back, she told me if I wanted any of them to get them now as the company was going to quit making them. But, I think someone picked up on them real quick and they're probably still manufactured today. I recently found some in a el-cheapo tool place that didn't have Irwin stamped on them that I think were made in "Chain" as we call it...it was a mispelled China word on a box of something they were peddling over here. Quite a few laughs from it and you guys got my permission to use "Made in Chain" all you want. ohfred

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a whole bunch of those Irwin screwdrivers. Some given to me by my dad, some I bought. You can still buy them new, but I have seen chinese copies. Very popular with machine repair guys. I had to make new wood parts for a couple, the wood gave up thru abuse. I know guys that use them for years with no wood left.

John in Nebraska
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those screwdrivers certainly do look like Irwins, but they've been also made for most of the past 100 years, seen some that were numbered, some made in Germany, just do a search for"perfect handle". Just try to find a used one that hasn't been beat on!

rjc4
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: some old tools,, I thought they were cool, Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tool in upper left is a scriber. They are used to make and match seams in linoleum.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters