Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave H. (CO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1998 chevy k1500 truck, and this weekend I borrowed a trailer that had loose wires in the connector. My fuses blew for both my brakes and turn signals. I replaced both fuses. Now my turn signals work, my hazards work, my third brake light works, but the brake lights at the back don"t. (Yes, it"s the same filament as the turn signals) I have a relay under the hood that says "brake lamp relay". Could this only control the lights at the back and not the third brake light? I"d like to get this fixed soon so I can go get my brush hog from the welding shop. (Yes, it"s somewhat tractor related...)
Thanks in advance.

LP GAS ONLY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a buddy's car do that once. It was the turn signal switch in the colum.
Gary

Dave H. (CO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The turn signals still worked in his situation?

ScottyHOMeY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it on the truck or on the trailer that you don't have brake lights? Are your truck and trailer lights on different circuits with relays between them?

Dave H. (CO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem is on the truck. I've used this trailer before and it's been fine. The problem was that a wire came loose in the trailer side connection and touched the other connectors.

Bob/Ont

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The power to the brake lights usually goes through the turn signal switch. Signal in center power goes to both brake lights. Signal Left and power goes only to the Right brake light. Signal Right and the power goes only to the Left brake light. That allows the turn signal to flash with brakes on. Short might have burned out signal switch.
Later Bob

Dave H. (CO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't like that train of thought! Is there any way to check the turn signal?

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fuse ?

Roy in georgia
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you may have another fuse you are missing I know I have found them in both under the hood and dash under hood mostly for trailer and dash for vehicle.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did the same thing on my Z71. I think its the AC compressor relay is the same size relay as the brake light relay. Swap them and see what happens.

bradk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wiggle the turn signal switch while stepping on brake pedal.If the brake lights come on or flicker,the multi-function switch is junk.Replaced many.

Dave H. (CO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks all. I"ll go through some more trouble shooting tonight. I"d like to think it"s not the $150 switch. Does the steering wheel need to be pulled to get to it? It has a tilt wheel and airbag if it matters.

bradk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steering wheel doesn"t have to come off.Disconnect battery,remove upper and lower column covers,lower knee bolster(below column)to get at elec. connector.Take careful note when removing unit and install same way.

You"ll need a torx socket bit#20.

Leland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the fuses under the hood your problem may lie there ,it's such a pain anymore to try to solve any vehicle problem

Dave H. (CO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. brake lights don't work, turn signals do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Doesn"t sound hard at all. Last night I wiggled the turn signal and nothing happened. Due to the price difference and ease, I"ll replace the relay first, then move on to the switch.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters