Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Starter problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry's 41C
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I’m at my wits end on the starter. It would not turn the motor with the plugs in. I took it to an automotive repair shop and he checked the armature, changed brushes and so on. Put it on and the same thing. I put it under no load and as it spun it drained down and I a bolt sparking on a band. I took the bolt out and it turned the motor with plugs in. Thinking I fixed the problem, I took it out to paint the tractor. When I put it back, it would not turn the motor. After a few times taking it apart cleaning and making sure the connections were good with NO result, I bought a good used one off eBay. I got it today and it did the same thing. I even jumped it with a 12V car battery! Let me know of any ideas.

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with the plugs in and the ignition off will it turn the engine over.

RENE'

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WHAT TRACTOR ALLIS NEEDS NO PAINT FOR A GROUND TO MAKE A CIRCUIT. RENE'

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what tractor is that?if you have a push starter button that may be your problem.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you painted the tractor, did you paint the hole the starter fits in? You need good contact there to complete the circuit- make that hole shine!, starter case too.

41C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a model “C” with a 6V push button system. I have a new switch on mine and after rustred’s reply, I put the new switch on the one from eBay and still the same. Also, I did not paint the starter hole.

chalmersbob(Pa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what size wires do you have on the battery? If they are car type cables they are too light. Have you cleaned the battery connections? Bob

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

another thing is you may have a bad batt. cable.i have seen that happen.you couldnt tell by looking at it.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Starter problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put some 00 battery cables on it with soldered lugs and clean all surfaces including where its grounded as paint and rust make good insulators. Hal

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters