Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Having emails in the open

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Having emails in the open Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you put an email address in the text of a post or, if on the modern view, click the option to have it show the email, spammers and scammers pick that up. They have robots that search sites continuously to collect email addresses. I just received an email supposedly from visa.com that was actually from some PC in italy. It was pretending to be a "credit card alert", but was actually a phish.

I get this kind of thing at my support at ytmag.com because I have to leave that address out where you all can see it so you can report problems. What it tells me though, is that if I receive something like that, any of you who put your email address in the clear on a post, on a photo comment etc, are also going to receive those. If, like me, you put your address out in the open, then you need to learn how to look at the headers of emails and recognize when someone is pulling a con.

Now I'd rather you didn't put your addresses out there where people can see them because it just causes YT to scanned more often and that hurts the performance of the site. But if you do, study how to know the difference between real emails from banks and that sort of places, so you don't get defrauded by these Phishing scams.

One of the anti-virus companies posted a statistic that for every 1 real email there are 800 fraud, scam, spam, virus and spyware emails sent. If you are going to open yourself to receive those, be knowledgeable and wary. There is a lot of information on the net on how to know the difference.

Last edited by YTSupport on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters