Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

DeVilbiss Generator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edj856
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just got a DeVilbiss DGT5010 generator that has no output. It is a brushless alternator design, with a capacitor. I checked the capacitor with a DVOM and it's open no matter which way the leads are. I also checked the stator for continuity and it's okay. My question is, is there any way to temporarily bypass the capacitor so I can make sure the everything else is working properly? I don't won't to spend $50 only to find out there's more problems.

barnE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another cap check is will it take a charge. Charge it with 12 volt batt. Discharge with wire and see if you get spark. Or discharge with old radio speaker, should make a noise or crunching sound. Also discharge through magnetic earphones if you have them. Never checked with digital meter. Only analog on highest scale ohms. Batt in meter will charge cap. Reverse leads and cap will discharge through meter. All I know. Dave

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best test is to substitute a known good capacitor and see what happens. There's no way to "bypass" the capacitor as the generator will have little or no output without a good capacitor in place.

See if the capacitor has value markings on it. Any capacitor with equal capacity and equal or higher voltage rating will work. It DOESN'T have to be the DeVilbiss replacement part! (I've purchased replacement capacitors at Graingers - about $10 or so as I recall.)

Another thing to check are the diodes in the rotor winding. I've seen diodes fail (go open) or the solder connections break which kills the generator output.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello edj856,
Before you condemn the capacitor, make sure it is bad. When you checked with the DVOM, you may have had the meter in the range that won't read the capacitor.
Try all the ranges if the meter has the option.
If the capacitor is A/C connected, plug it in for a of second into a 120v outlet. Short it out with a screwdriver, if it sparks it is good.
Like Bob M said the best test is a direct replacement.
Good Luck.................Guido.

edj856
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried charging it with 12 volts first, then 120 volts and didn"t get a spark either time when discharging it, so I"m going to assume that it really is bad. A quick look through the Grainger website showed several with the same ratings, but none that would fit in the mounting location. I could move it to another location, but don"t really want to.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
It sounds as if the cap is bad.
You can go 20% more on the cap capacity and still be O.K.Size sometimes is a pain.
Guido.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Physical location of the capacitor is not critical. You can mount it anywhere that doesn't get hot when the engine's running.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello edj856,
Have you looked at the manufacturer web site?
They list a cap for your machine as:
35UF +3% 370 Volts ac.
Guido.

edj856
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ordered a new capacitor a few days ago and just installed it this morning. It was a 35UF +5% 440V, for about $8.00 with shipping, a lot cheaper than the direct fit ones for $50. It's up and running now, thanks for the help.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: DeVilbiss Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Helloedj856,
I looked in my pile of stuff and I found one close to what you neede, but no cigar!
25uf 270v 2"dia. by 2 1/8.
Glade you got it running. I saw a set of 10 caps on a website for $58. I know that at that price they are making money, so I feel your pain!
Guido.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters