Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oil Filter Spring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrampaJack

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Oil Filter Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally did the first oil cange on the TO20 yesterday and I have a question. The service manual says there is a spring above the can (cover) that the screen/filter go up into. It seems to be saying that the can should come out the bottom. It will definately not come out the bottom and I do not feel a spring above it. I can push it up and it seems to come up against something solid. I don't see replacement springs available. Since I am going to drop the pan to clean it I can stick one above the can at that time. Does anyone know diameter and length so I can get one locally? Seems that all the spring does is hold the can down to the bottom of the pan. Thank You! Jack

Lance J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does your tractor have the oil filter on the right side of the engine in a metal canister with a long bolt running through the middle? If so, then it is the same as my TO-35. Mine doesn't have a spring in it, but the filter will come out of it if you rotate the bolt. I don't see a need for a spring, as the filter seems long enough to touch the top of the canister, at least on my tractor.

GrampaJack

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, mine is the TO20. The oil filter is up inside the oil pan. What a lovely piece of engineering that is! Jack

gerard

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You got it - spring holds can against oil pan. From what I remember it"s about 2" long & a loose fit over the stud (making it about about 5/8" ID)

GrampaJack

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I measured the tube and it's 9/16th. I picked up a couple of springs that looked like they might work so when I drop the pan this weekend I'll be able to put the right one in. Once I finish I'll post the final spring size that worked in case anyone else runs into the problem. Best regards, Jack

gshadel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gramps, you CAN get that spring from your local AGCO (Massey) dealer. I bought one a few years back as I found mine was missing also. A couple bucks.
Your right, that spring goes between the upper cover can, and the stop on the bottom of the center crank bearing. The spring helps hold the filter down against the oil pan when your driving your TO off steep cliffs, flipping it upside down, etc. For normal straight driving on level ground, the weight of the cover can does okay. My guess is there are a LOT of TO's running around without that spring.

George

OlavNorway

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Filter Spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The spring you are missing, I suppose is the same as I found in my Z120 engine. It's about 3 inces wide and 6 inces high. I suppose it is ment to have a filter of some kind around it. If you mail me on berild@online.no, i can send you a picture of it

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters