Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TO30 startup procedure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gorter

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: TO30 startup procedure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was given a TO30 s/n 85459. OHV Z129 engine. It has sat in a pasture for 6 years. engine is loose. What is the best procedure to go about starting this machine to minimize damage. Thanks, Jim

Jerry/MT

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 startup procedure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a proper "procedure" but here's what I would do.

I would drain the oil and change the filter first. Drain and flush the cooling system and refill with 50/50 water/antifreeze. The fuel tank will have a bunch of crap and corruption in it so I'd only put a couple of gallons of fresh gas in it AFTER removing the sediment bowl/tank valve and cleaning out the bowl and the filter in that. You'll also want to remove the fuel line at the carburtor and then remove the fitting because it contains a screen that catches athe big chunks from the tank. Make sure that the battery is fully charged and the points are not corroded or otherwise crapped up and are set properly(0.022"). Pull the plugs and make sure they aren't fouled and are gapped to 0.025". Motor the engine without the plugs till the oil pressure comes up to it's max value (new engines have 25-30 psi). Put the plugs back in. Remove the oil cup from the air filter and clean it and replace the dirty oil with fresh engine oil. Open the tank valve and try a start.
If it doesn't start after a few tries, remove the center wire from the distributor and hold it near a good ground while you try start. If you don't have A FAT, BLUISH-WHITE SPARK, you'll ned to check out the primary ignition circuit.

CENTAUR

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TO30 startup procedure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would start by blowing all the dirt before removing spark plugs and the spraying with transmission fluid to lubricate the cylinder walls and the valve stems and guides as they are dry by now.The gas tank probably has dried up by now and has turned to gum and varnish.Radiator shop will boil it out if that has happened.The carbureter will also need to be cleaned out also.I would only replace the gasket and the needle & seat if it is rusted or has synthetic tip.All the other parts are brass and are correct! Check if you have spark to the plugs by opening the points by hand when they are in the closed position.All of the above are based on assumpions I have made.I hope others will join in. CENTAUR

gshadel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 startup procedure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, all the stuff the other guys list below is all good stuff that will need done to your TO to get her up to good working condition. But if your just lookin to bring your TO to life and "minimize damage", you can just change the oil & filter, the oil in the air cleaner, give'er some fresh gas in the tank, charge/replace the battery, and try to fire her up!
If your carb is gunked-up, or the points are gunked-up, she won't run, or run well, but they might be fine and your TO may roar to life pretty easy. You'll want to replace your antifreeze, but there's nothing better for an engine than to get'er running and heated-up to stir-up everything. I'd recommend getting her running, then change the oil & antifreeze again fairly soon to get any stirred-up stuff out of there. You'll probably want to change the tranny oil pretty soon also, I'm sure it's probably got water or sludge in there from sitting all that time, which is no good for your 3 point hitch operation. Get yourself a Ferguson shop re-print manual ASAP, it's loaded with tons of info you will need to keep your TO running smooth.

George

Jim Gorter

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 startup procedure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your advice. Sounds like I need to get a manual for this machine. Where is a good place to buy a reprint.Probably owners and service are needed.This a great site, thanx to GEEBEE for hooking me up and to all of you for your kind help. Jim

Jim.UT

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: TO30 startup procedure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. My TO-30 came to me last fall after the death of my uncle. It had sat for at least 6 years and the engine was stuck. I've been able to free it up, but I've not had time to really get after it.

I did start to unwrap the electrical tape from the wiring harness so I could start replacing wires. I found all the insulation gone from the wires so that all 4 wires in the harness were bare and taped together. There's no way it would have run if I had just poured gas in it and tried to start it.

I'll be following your progress since I'm probably headed down the same road. My s/n is even pretty close to yours.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters