Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

B carb problems(surging)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hossman

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fellas, I know I read in archives on this sight bout this problem but cant seem to find exact post so ill start over(Rod,Old ,feel free to jump on in!)OK I purchased this lil B last summer (4Cool for mowin chores it has the 60" deck anyhows it ran good all summer. I put new sediment bowl on it right after purchase and included the riser on it like Rod recommends. Well it always starts real good fires up real quick.(Even after sittin all winter) well after doin some spring mowin with it this year it started actin up,surgin and such.I had dumped some rust paticles outa seiment bowl so decided to clean and inspect carb, i pulled carb and tore it apart checked needle,seatand float. I blew everything out and cleaned all wih carb cleaner, reasembled and the ol gal ran great till I fuzzed into some thick grass while mowin then it started the surgin bit again. Now this aint the herky jerk or buckin type surge just actin like fuel problem or somthin.I did try one thing I thought ive read bout though and it did work, I pulled out on the choke rod real quick and pushed it back in and this stops the surgin right now, it willcome right outa it and run like a scalded banshee for a spell then after a bit it seems to go back to the surgin, now the choke trick will kill it ifn ya aint fast with it but definatly helps the problem.Thought this bit of info might help you tractor Doc's with a diagnoses. By the way I dont have a surge spring on it yet am goin to order one but it had been runnin fine with out. This was a bit long winded and appologize,butwanted to give all the facts I could.Thanks guys, Hoss

Dick L

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You still have fine particles of rust in the system. Real hard to get out and that is why I put an inline filter on my C. I have had it on the tractor for several years. I have never cleaned and lined the tank on that tractor but dumped sediment bowl several times. I cleaned the carburetor one time after putting in the inline filter. This tractor bounced around on a trailer for years going from tractor pull to tractor pull. It never let me down on the track after I installed the inline filter and won me doxens of trophys.

Rex in Australia

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You may have a problem in the line to the carb, or a restriction in the tank only letting the fuel through slowly. Drop the line off and ensure that there is a good flow through to the carburettor. Good place to start. I have found bits and pieces floating around in tanks that restrict it occasionally, that is hard to find sometimes.
Rex

old

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I don't agree with Dick on the in line filter because I have seen them cause more problems then worth. But I do agree you most likely have a rust problem. Now if you do what to try the inline filter go to a motor cycle place and buy one made for a motor cycle and it will work. But if you really want to fix it clean out the tank real good and then line it, then rebuild the carb useing a good brand kit.

Rod (NH)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Hoss,

I've never found a need to install any kind of aftermarket fuel filter. If you have the screen in the fuel bowl and the riser that I use, you shouldn't need anything else. The riser solved my condensed moisture problem and the screen is there to prevent rust particles and other solid debris from entering the fuel line. Plus, adding the riser should also minimize (not eliminate) rust particles, etc. from even getting to the screen in the first place since the inlet to the fuel bowl is no longer at the lowest point in the tank where that sort of stuff collects. Some believe that "surge" spring is not needed and others have found it to make a difference. AC apparently thought it was necessary, or at least desirable, since they supplied it on all Bs and Cs in all years they were produced. I recommend you get one and install it:

Rod

Hossman

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Thanks for the input, Rod i have ordered the surge spring, and Old if I do try the inline filter it would be just to see (or not) if that was problem.The fuel line was a jury rigged thing at best so I decided to make new one and rerout it, the 1/4" copper tubin just kinda ran around outside of breather makin it akward to get it off and clean it.(the breather) I made new 1/4" copper fuel line when I had carb off cleanin and inspectin it. I ran the new line around and behind the breather, this seemed better on account of when mowin and such didnt want to snag fuel line on tree limbs and such not to mention it just looks better. My understandin then would be Im gettin very small rust particles into carb and when I pull choke out for a second its suckin the crud on threw thus cleanin the carb out and this is why it then again runs great? The carb insides have deffinatly had attention IE new float, needle and seat. But the dadgum new sediment bowl does have pretty good rust junk in it even after I have drined it out a few times( for the sediment bowl replacement) and again for the Riser that Rod recomended.I know I probly am gonna have to pull tank and claen flush and coat the innerd like Old said, but have a better tank for the ol gal that I was gonna put on it when I did the total restore and paint job down the road. Well I'll keep "eliminatin" things and see what I come up with. Dick and Rex and of coarse Old and Rod thanks abunch. Hoss

DARDAN

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A little late in the comments, but my 2 cents is for the external filter an no stand pipe in the tank--I'd rather drain the bowl than rust the tank. I clean my tanks on the tractor by draining, take the bowl assy out, pack 1/2 an old tee shirt into the tank. Swirll it around with along screwdriver, and fish it out with a claw retriever, shake it off and repeat till I stop getting debries. My alteritve is to drain gas, add kerosine and use one of those cheap siphon sand blasters for a mini air vaccuume cleaner.

DARDAN

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: B carb problems(surging) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A little late in the comments, but my 2 cents is for the external filter an no stand pipe in the tank--I'd rather drain the bowl than rust the tank. I clean my tanks on the tractor by draining, take the bowl assy out, pack 1/2 an old tee shirt into the tank. Swirll it around with along screwdriver, and fish it out with a claw retriever, shake it off and repeat till I stop getting debries. My alteritve is to drain gas, add kerosine and use one of those cheap siphon sand blaster guns for a mini air vaccuume cleaner.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters