Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 450 Brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_in_mo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My cousin just picked up a 450 Loader that's in pretty nice shape, but the brakes are very weak. Until we get a service manual that will be specific, is there a simple fix to this problem?

marlowe

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first what do you mean by week?second don't fix them because you should NOT use them to steer and you don't need them. the brakes are not for steering use the power levers

ben brown

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first you should check the fluid. then there is a bolt coming up out of the brake drum that you can adjust them. you well need to remove the floor board to do this. i thinking they are called steering brakes. also thy have a lock out that is working right well disingage the track so as to stop power to them for steering and loader operation. i have no idea why some think you should not fix them. when working thy make you tractor safer and more useasble. do search under ben brown i have posted info on parts and fixing them. there not all that hard to fix most all parts are aviable aftermarket. so fic your brakes and enjuy your tractor. case hase a web site that well give you a break down of parts. type in case north america click on parts search.

David in Mo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info

steve n carol

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greyhead,

My own theory... I am of the type that conserves my energy, (lazy). haha. This lends itself to not lift my leg and apply the brakes.

also, if you have ever worked on the brakes or braking system on these machines, you will note that the brakes are easy to repair and/or replace, (if you can stand on your head for an extended amount of time). This I only did once, not a pleasent experience.

I would suppose that to avoid working on these, plus being lazy one would tend to not use the break pedals as much.

after you become used to your machine, it becomes like second nature to turn with the control levers, which the book also mentions.

I still use the brakes on mine sometimes if I have to make a pivot turn or am backing up an implement.

And one last thing, because the pedals are both on one side, it is difficult for me to use them independtly. Especally in tight or precarious situations, (hillsides and between utilities).

these are just a few of my thoughts...sl

timg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have thought the same thing! Why are they there if your not suppose to use them.
I am rebuilding the under carrage and engine on mine right now. I am going to do the brakes since the engine is out and It shold be easyer than with it in. Also the ebrake was set when parked avout 10 years ago and they are stuck now.
Another question about steering. Is it okay to change from low to high during steering at full RPM"s the book just say to lower the RPM when changing from forward to reverse.

Case450

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I find it's best to go easy on the gas when shifting from hi to low or shifting anything to anything...it only takes half a second...and i have never ever used the brakes on my machine...i've rebuilt the undercarriage and have been lucky with a motor in awesome condition when i got it...all i have left is the electrical....but the brakes? nah, i'll leave 'em be.

John Van Valkenburgh

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My theory is that using the brakes will cause more stress on the undercarriage due to the tighter turn. I've rebuilt the brakes on my 450, but I rarely use them. I have used them to hold the machine steady on an incline. Almost never needed the brakes for turns.

Having said all that, I suspect that with a loader you could get away with more and tighter turns since the growser pads are generally lower on loaders. If my 450 was a dozer I'd guess using the brakes to turn would be pretty hard on the undercarriage.

If for no other reason I like having the brakes just for emergencies where I need to stop the machine in a hurry.

Best of luck,
John
1968 Case 450

Oldcraneguy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with using the brakes, just that after getting use to the track controls and throttle combinations nobody bothers very often...prob a good idea to use em some just to keep em freed up!

steve n carol

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Timg, you asked, "...Is it okay to change from low to high during steering at full RPM"s the book just say to lower the RPM when changing from forward to reverse".

Personaly I always let up on the throttle to allow the shift...."from anything to anything"..[borrowed]. I have accidently shifted the wrong lever, kissed the ROPS un-expectedly, and didn't break anything that I know about.

I is my understanding that some machines do have a 'de-accelerator" that lowers RPM automatically when shifting.

I let up on the throttl...always...as I have learned how to find the 'weakest' link in a drivetrain back in the 70's. Street rods are much cheaper/eaisier to repair...sl

720 in pa

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 450 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i wonder why you say you shouldnt fix your brakes.unless of course you dont want safe operation of the machine.by the way they were designed for steering purpose as they wouldnt have a declutch valve for either side if they werent meant for steering purposes

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters