Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hard starting/front axle pin touching crank pulley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich in NJ

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Hard starting/front axle pin touching crank pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Twice now I have been hit with a amazing problem. About two weeks ago I was told by my wife that the "9N wouldn't start". These are words that naturally make my blood pressure rise, so as usual, I went off to investigate. After snooping around and checking for the usual problems, for some reason my eye caught something towards the front of the engine. What?! It turned out that the front axle pin had somehow backed out and was right up against the crank pulley. I then dragged out the old hydraulic pump and some blocks and a prybar and after a while was able to slide the pin back into place. Prior to this I was just able to back off the locking bolt on the top of the front axle. Since I had overhauled the engine back in 2000, perhaps the locking bolt had finally backed off on it's own. Well, two days ago I was again told by my wife that the 9N wouldn't start. Sure enough, the front pin has backed off again! Yes, yes, I did remember to tighten the bolt the first time this happened, so it's not that.
Has anyone else out there seen this? I am wondering if the bolt has somehow sheared? I can't remember if the bolt actually goes into the pin, or does it just push against it? The real problem is that this is a tough area to access, especially with the fan right there blocking everything.

TheOldHokie

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hard starting/front axle pin touching crank pu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The "bolt" has a tapered point on the end which seats fits into a countersink drilled in the pin. I'd guess either the end of the bolt is sheared off or the countersink is not properly positioned to recieve the end of the bolt.

TOH

souNdguy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hard starting/front axle pin touching crank pu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for a 1 second glob of spot weld... something easilyl chissled off. etc.

Put cardboard up against the radiator!! Disconnect alternator...

Soundguy

Rich in NJ

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hard starting/front axle pin touching crank pu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I seem to remember about the tapered end on that seating bolt, but the last time I saw it was in 2000. I think that I'll pull it off completely and see what shape it's in. If that doesn't work, then I agree, it'll be time for a small tack.

Kenster

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hard starting/front axle pin touching crank pu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Words least likely to ever come out of the mouth of my wife.....

"Honey, the tractor won't start!"

TheOldHokie

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard starting/front axle pin touching crank pu Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amen brother!

TOH

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters