Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Is this a good deal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katharine

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a guy selling an 8N that is being COMPLETELY rebuilt from the motor to the tranny and will have new rear tires and good condition front tires on it. He had taken the motor out and had it machined and blasted and re-bored and just completely gone thru it top to bottom, manifold, carb, exhaust, alt., starter, ignition etc... He said he was going to work on the rear end next. Also going to put on new headlights (not that I will be driving in the dark, but it"s nice to see the thoroughness) and that he would call me when it was done to hear it run and drive it- all for $2,800 approx. No attachments with it though and I would have to get a different seat, as I am NOT a fan of the original "pan seats".

Anything else I should look for on this??

Pete-N-Ga

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's probably an excellent price if he does all that. I rebuilt my 52 8N engine a couple of years ago and spent about $1800 and did most of the work myself. Mine needs some transmission work and just from checking prices it'll probably cost $400 or more. I've seen them sitting for sale for that much in not near that good a shape. HTH JMHO Pete

Kenster

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$2800?? I think that's terrible! Outrageous! And I will be happy to go tell him so if you'll give me the sellers address!

PS. Do you think he'll take a check?

Ross Pugh(NC)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree wif the others, that don't sound like a bad price after all that being done to it.

lonestarjeff

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you know the guy selling it has a good reputation, or you can verify around town, that would be a great price w/ all that work done.

I mention this because there are some guys out there w/ a loose definition of "rebuild" or "gone thru".

Jeff

Henry M

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Katherine

I personally don't think he can do all that work discounting zero for labor for that kind of money.

something don't add up here, like the bucks.

I donno

Tom New Jersey

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like they say too good to be true, any half decent 8N should be worth $1000 + tires + motor + trany + everything else ?

Good luck, it may be true.

Bill(Wis)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The thing that caught my attention was the term "re-bored". What exactly did he mean by that? The next was "just completely gone through it top to bottom". Again, exactly, and I do mean exactly, did he mean by that? My dad bought a tractor one time that was "all overhauled". The first thing we had to do was overhaul it.

David Snipes

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have him show you receipts for all the parts he replaced and the machine work he had done and ask to see the old replaced parts. If he balks at that, be very skeptical. If it is all true, its a great deal.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters