Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fouled plugs? How do you know??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crutchfield

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going through another saga of my 40/9N won't start. Thought it was new air cleaner I put on - but with hose detached, still just groans. Turns and turns, once in a while a little sputter to get my hopes up.
Have recharged battery a couple of times and replaced plugs (AutoLite AL-437). Carb gets flooded.
Wondering now whether I again have fouled plugs.

Can you tell if plugs are fouled??

Getting tired of this,
Thanks,
Crutch, about to have a 9N for sale

Dunk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell (WA)

05-26-2007 21:39:42

Report to Moderator

Delete

Re: 9N only runs on starting
fluid even after carb
in reply to John R P,
05-26-2007 19:22:42

John.......one of the founding members of this great ol'N-Board,
used to claim 80% of all carb problems were found in the
IGNITION system. Sumptin' to tink'bout, eh?

Yer use of low-flashpoint ether-squickstart is leading you
estray. QUIT-ITT!!!

PROVE yer sparkies are good. Make a CALIBRATED sparkie tester
outta enny ol'sparkie. Bend the side electrode out for a full
3/16" gap. Clamp the sparkie shell to enny convenient grounding
bracket. Now plug enny sparkie wire to yer calibrated tester and
try to start yer engine while watching yer calibrated tester for
BLUE-SNOTT sparkies. Iff'n they's wimpy yellowish-orangish poor
excuse, you know where to start lookin'.

For reference purposes, my eazy starting 6-volt 8N sparkies
will jump a full 3/8" gap.

You don't want to go to all that trouble to make a tester?
Then REPLACE yer sparkies with new clean dry AutoLite AL-437
sparkies. (gap = 0.025") Why? 'cuz you done FLOODED yer sparkies
with INVISIBLE no-lead gasoline deposits and them lazy sparkies
are dribblin' down the side of the center insulator instead of
jumpin' the gap an' makin'widd da sparkle. Replace'em ennysway;
$8 (cheap)

Why'd yer tractor quit out in middle of field? My guess yer
weaksister ignition switch hick-upped. $10 (cheap) REPLACE
IT..........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=608057

Crutchfield

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I tired a test plug and am getting a blue/white spark (kind of random/intermitent fire - maybe that's OK - but it's not a steady every fourth stroke fire like I would have thought).
Carb has gas dripping out air intake.

Dunk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you choking it to cause the gas to drip out the intake, or does it just sit there and drip?

If it just sits there and drips your float, needle valve, assembly would be suspect.

Crutchfield

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Me choking it too much I guess. Doesn't seem to drip on its own.

Dunk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is what I was figgering.

That is famous for the gassed plug syndrome.

Also keep an eye on this topic.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=610049

Dunk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most N tractors don't need that choke used as much as some want to try to use them.

Before pulling on that choke rod, have the engine turning, and then just pull it briefly, if at all, and if necessary.

Again it is easy to gas your plugs with that choke.

You can also take your plugs out and heat the end with a hand held propane torch, and get them back to sparking.

H Kutzler

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fouled plugs? How do you know?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where do you have your throttle set when yo try to start it? My 8n starts real good if I only open the throttle just a little ways but if I open it half way or more it dont want to start and fouls the plugs.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters