Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

corn bins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmertee

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: corn bins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been picking ear corn for the last 5 years and was thinking of going to shell corn. I was wondering what I would need to store the shell corn--bin, drier?, auger? What would it cost for me to switch? I plan on hiring a custom combine operator. I also could store my oat crop with a bin.

paul

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: corn bins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many acres or bu? Makes a difference on what you can afford.

What do you harvest corn at, 18% or 22% moisture most years? Makes a difference.

What climate do you have, below freezing by the time you harvest, or rarely gets below 50 into the new year?

Then, are you feeding it yourself, or are you hauling it away, and so how long do you need to store it?

--->Paul

sd pete

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: corn bins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bin with drying floor and aeration fan and stirator.

farmertee

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: corn bins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been planting about 15 acres a year in corn. I would go as high as 50 acres or more if I switch over. I suppose the smallest grain bin available would hold the amount I would have. I live in an area that typically it is freezing on a normal basis by early November. This year is totally a fluke. But anyway I may be taking on a new job which would mean a change in hours and in order to keep farming I would have to make the switch. I would probably store until early spring and then sell to local feed mill. I usually harvest at less than 25% moisture.

RickL

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: corn bins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

for all more you will have let the local elevator store it. Will be cheaper in long run for all more you have. The job change will probably be alot more profitable anyway hopefully or rent it out . Just not enough volume there to build bin for in my eyes. I put them up as sideline until year ago,but if you want something in the 3000-5000bu range you can get them basically free for the removal in my area.

paul

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: corn bins Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wrote you a nice long reply last nite, site wouldn't take it. Here's 1/10th the info.

You got LP tank, you got spare 100 amps of power? You need to dry the corn.

50 acres could be 10,000bu corn 'here' if you get it right. Small bins are 1200-4000bu, cheap used but all the money is in the concrete & drying equip.

Batch driers (elect or pto), top bin, floor, low-heat, Shivers - all types of systems. Going to cost.

--->Paul

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters