Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

eliminating ampmeter - burn points?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mopower

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: eliminating ampmeter - burn points? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

troubleshooting burned points over and over. accel coil with or without resestor did it. eliminating ampmeter cause it?

Bob

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: eliminating ampmeter - burn points? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WOW... That's a TOUGH one!

Bus Man

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: eliminating ampmeter - burn points? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eliminating the ammeter shouldn't affect it. Is the coil designed to have a resistor in the circuit? Some coils are made to run without a resistor. Since it's done it with or without the resistor, you might want to check your condenser. The condenser should absorb the voltage spikes created when the points open to help prevent excessive arching (burning the points). If the coil is suppose to have a resister in the circuit, what voltage do you have on the negative side of your coil with the key on and the points closed? Should be around 5 to 8 volts (12v system). If your voltage is too high you might have the wrong resistor or it's wired wrong.

Mopower

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: eliminating ampmeter - burn points? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is negative ground. I was told the Accel coil didn't require a resistor as most coils do (8V input). It was running worse and worse. We rewired the whole machine cause it wasn't that great. I changed points AND condensor next thinking the condensor was getting hot as some stock tractors with bad condensors have done in the past. Still burned points out in about 15 seconds with or without resistor before the coil. I guess I'll test my coil output voltage. I'm no electrician obviously, but it ran good once. We upped the compression from about 5:1 to 10:1 ratio.

jpl

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: eliminating ampmeter - burn points? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are you putting grease on the distributor or rubbing block, got to be careful a little grease gets on points and they will burn out quickly, if not check voltage from coil neg to points, (i just fixed a allis g that was burning points but this one had 6 volts and bat was backwards) sorta sounds like a bad coil to me. could have internal leakage, hope you get it fixed. thats just my 2 cents worth.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters