Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver 520 Baler... got me.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rexalot

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Oliver 520 Baler... got me. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've decided to retired my NH balers and went that other shade of green... (Ok, I just like the way it looks behind my 1800)

I have an Oliver 520, that makes a same size everytime, honest square bale. After 340 bales I only had 1 that I might consider a "bananna" and thats a stretch. It made no difference baling if I had a fat windrow or nearly nothing (It actually hates the big windrow - chokes on it).

Now the problem. Of 340 bales so far (give or take a couple) about 10% end up with only 1 string. The left knotter fails to tie. To me, it appeared that the knot was hanging on the billhook. Now, I have the NH knotter guide (Like the NH, the oliver uses "Deering" knotters) and the 520 manual. I had checked the obvious stuff I saw wrong before I ever started baling like twine finger adjustment and timing. After the first 118 bales (I had to get that field in) I took apart both knotters, compared billhooks (both looked ok), polished off the rust, sharpened knives, checked twine disc timing and tension etc and I still have the same problem on the same side. It might go 10 - 15 bales, fail, then go 2 - 3, fail etc. No consistency.

When I watch it tie, (from the wagon) the left knot emerges from under the twine disc a second or so after the right side, yet they tied at the same time. The twine has slack, with the knot at the top of what I'll call a bottomless triangle.
Both knotters will do this, but the left is more prevalent. As the bale is pushed out of the chamber away from the knotters, the strings pull down and this "triangle" disappears. This doesn't seem normal, compared to my NH balers. When it doesn't tie, usually the string is tied with the next bales knot or if it stays with the bale, the knot is only half formed with the loose end coming under then over the top of the bale.

I tried tweaking billhook tension (up and down)and twine tension (from the box - tighter only)in the field but niether made any difference (twine tension at the box is about maxed, I still have plenty of threads if I want to crank down the billhook). I didn't mess with bale tension. I'm guessing I'm at about a 60lb bale or so, it's perfect shape at about 36 - 38 inches, the strings only give about 2 - 3 inches when picked up so I know it's not to tight.

With the way the string "slacks" I'm starting to wonder if my "perfect" bale tension is the problem. I plan to run back through the troubleshooting guide in the manual as maybe I missed something. I need to get a spring scale to check twine tension, (thought I could just use the NH method for the billhook - compress the spring then 2 turns more, maybe not.)The only other obvious thing is the twine finger for the left side is missing the very tip (point), but it still has what looks like a point and I set it with what is there per the manual. Just what does the twine finger do - other than guide twine to the knotter?

It's got me... anybody have any Oliver baler experience. My NH's never gave me knotter problems like this and there the same knotter! I couldn't be happier with the quality of bales this thing spits out, but I hate having to kick the broken ones into the next windrow.

mark in wis

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 520 Baler... got me. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From your description it sounds like the knot is not being removed from the billhook properly. The wiper arm should run very close but not touch the billhook. might have to remove the arm and bend it slightly in a vise to get the right clearance. sound like you have already polished the billhook to remove any rust. I have had alot of experience with oliver 620 and hesston 4500 balers( over30 years), this is the same knotter. Let me know how things go. Mark

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 520 Baler... got me. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on my new holland baler the wiper actually rubs the bill hook. I agree you need to bend wiper to slide string off hook. see how one wiper compares with other.

Rexalot
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 520 Baler... got me. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought of that to, so I double checked it prior to running 200+ bales. I had it set before I ever baled. I might be able to get it just a bit tighter, but it already rubs. The knife arm also passes off the end by 1/2 inch so I know it's going far enough per the manual.

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 520 Baler... got me. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend of mine bought a 520-I think, It would not tie on 1 side either. The dealer had to get the Oliver bailer man to come. The chain that ran from the front of the bailer to the knotters was off 1 tooth. it worked fine once they figured that out.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters