Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Flooding - Fouled plugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenster
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Flooding - Fouled plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As previously posted I am having a hard time starting my 52 8n. It's apparently flooded. I've been trying to buy AL437 plugs but after checking two different stores no one seems to carry them. I'll have to wait til the NH store opens Monday.
However... reading another post just down the page a few threads, the gentleman mentioned that he thinks his carb is idling too rich and have fouled his plugs. When my tractor died on me, I had spent a few hours basically idling while pulling small stumps. I'd hook up the chain while the tractor idled, pull the stump, repeat. Lots of idling. When I was ready to quit for the day and drive the tractor back to the barn I drove it about twenty feet and it died. Almost immediately noticed fuel dripping from the carb. Up until the time I was doing all this idling I had been working her pretty hard, hogging a seven acre meadow and plowing two more acres. Then I did the couple of hours of basically idling at about 400 rpm or so.
So, would a too rich carb setting and losts of idling have caused this fouled plugs/flooding condition?

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooding - Fouled plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kenster........idling and flooding are 2-different horses and they effect yer sparkies differently.

Lots of idling can "foul" sparkies iff'n carb is too rich idle setting. Always adjust the side-pointing idlemix for MAXIMUM idle rpms, NOT SMOOTHEST idle. Max idle rpms. Understand the difference???

The recommended AutoLite AL-437 sparkies have extended nose for flame cleaning of sooty deposits caused by extended idling. That is why they are recommended. I'm surprized you can't buy AL-437's but there are other alternatives, just not as good.

Tell yer parts ignoramus to cross-reference AL-437's, he'll find AL-216; NGK B6L; NGK B4L; Nippo W14LU; Bosche W125T; Champion H-12. Make him earn his pay. I have NO USE for incompetent sales clerks.

Flooding is completely different. Yep, drippin' fuel is pretty good indicator that you "might have" flooded yer sparkies. But it is also indicator that yer float valve didn't close for some reason when engine died. Has 'nuttin' to do with yer sparkies, per-se but usually is caused by too anxious re-start procedure.

On a "hot-engine", the engine block heat should evaporate enny gas flooding effect in about 15-mins. Different story with cold-engine sparkie flooding; there you haffta replace with clean and dry sparkies. Of course, ennytime you suspect flooding, you can ALWAYS replace yer sparkies........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooding - Fouled plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As "Autolite AL437", It's "Autolite 437". That's why the brainless computer is telling the brainless salesperson "no matches found". Every major auto parts chain carries Autolite 437 whether they know it or not.

Kenster
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Flooding - Fouled plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell, when I installed the new carb a couple of months ago I tried to follow your instructions explicitly. It seems to have run great but I guess it could have been too rich. Once I get it started again with new plugs in, I'll re-tweak the carb.
My local parts guy, who is an old timer and has always seemed to know his stuff checked his cross-ref book but all they had to match was Champion which I did not want. I'd rather wait til I can get to the NH store on Monday. I know for a fact they have them.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters