Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

cooling system repair and serial number question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lori_Ann
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

radiator fluid is pouring out of a thin pipe on the right side of the radiator. I have cleaned out the grill, put in a new thermostat, and flushed and refilled the radiator. its still happening... any suggestions??? please be descriptive, as im not at all a mechanic... Im a geek.....

also, there is no serial number stamped on the left side of the engine. but, there is a 8N-6015-C stamped on the right side of the engine.. I thought my tractor was a 1952 8N

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The s/N should be stamped just to the right of the oil filter on the engine block. Might hafta scrape around that flat area. Sometimes the number is filled with paint and or engine grease.

The overflow pipe is where the water is coming out of. Lots of times the radiator system is finding its "LEVEL" when just services with too much coolant.

HTH John,PA

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think that number that you listed may be the part number for the block.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you are over filling the cooling system. That pipe is the over flow tube and is doing just what it was made for. You only need to fill the radiator enough to cover the fins that you can see when you look inside of it, any more then that and its to full and will over flow when it gets warmed up. As far as the serail numbers if it has them they are on the left side of the engine just below the head. There hand stamped so they can be hard to read or see. If it has a side monut distubutor then its has to be one of 3 years. Late 50, 51 or 52
Hobby farm

Empennage
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmmm. How much fluid did you put in the radiator? You should only put in enough to cover the inside fins in the radiator.

The thermostat you put in is it in the upper hose (the higher one) with the pointy side pointing to the radiator?

This is a picture of where the serial number is found. Left side of engine center of this picture is a flat rectangle, this is where you will find the serial number.

arthur ward
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when replacing the thermostat...make sure the spring part is facing the engine or you are asking for trouble.

Lori_Ann
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you so much for all your replies, guys..

yep, I think I filled the radiator too full... I filled it all the way to the top.

yup, according to the book I bought and what you guys said, I did install the thermostat properly... I put it in the upper hose, with the tee-pee to the top. but, I ended up taking it out, when I took it out, everything seems to be working....

BUT, I figured out that there was no oil in the poor girl.. she was bone dry... (I named her Josephine) I put in 5 quarts. she is not spewing out fluid anymore, but, she seems to run VERY hot.. could be just because it was 90 degrees today?

thanks for the tip on the serial number, I can see the plate but it has been painted over, so I will scrape off the paint.

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: cooling system repair and serial number question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You stated that she is "Runn'N Hot".. Maybe you should make sure the radiator fins are clean of dust and dirt. I use the gardon hose to wash'em down, most times.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters