Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny in CO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 99 Dodge Grand Caravan that overheats. It is the 3.3L engine with AT. Just sitting at idle it won't overheat. Where I have the problem is when going up hills/mountains it overheats. As soon as I get to downhill or flat it cools back down quickly. It is full of coolant, electric fans are working, I think water pump is OK. I notice the problem more when using the MAX AC.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks,
Danny

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My lady friend has a Dodge 2001 Intrepid with the 2.7 liter engine with approx. 90,000. miles on it.

Last year about this time she was visiting another retired school teacher friend in the mountains of North Alabama. The road to their house has switch backs on the climb.

Someone adised my girlfriend to put the transmission in "2" when climbing the mountain.
Result...Boil over with no indication on the temp gauge because of the location of the temp. sensor.

Well, I advised her to keep the gearshift in "D" and let the computer/vaccuum system down shift the transmission and keep the horsepower up, going up the mountain road. Last trip up the mountain.....no problems at all.

Now, who will she believe???????????

Last time whe climbed the mountain, the engine did not boil over........ Me, I guess!!

HTH......John,PA

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When coming down the mountain, keep the gearshift in "2" and let the engine help brake the speed and save wear and tear on the brake pucks.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is The radiator cleen of bugs ,grass ect?If not wash radiator and A/C condenser out good.

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the antifreeze has not been changed on a regular basis you may have enough corrosion in the radiator that it's efficiency is low enough to cause overheating under the extreme conditions you describe. A regular basis would be every three years. You may need a new radiator, The new aluminum and plastic radiators do not lend themselves to being cleaned and repaired like those on our Ns do.

James Rader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had several 3.3 and 3.9 (my personal favorite) litre dodge vans... The 3.3 or sister 3.9, typicly is hard to overheat (the 4 cylander versions I have heard else wise about), my last 3 vans (two of which was taken out by drunk drivers) all varied very little on their temps regardless of the outside conditions or road conditions. However the one before that started overheating one winter, turned out to be a combination of two things so here are my suggestions based on what worked fer me...

First check that the spring loaded tensioning idler pully is holding tight, if not it may not be exerting enough preassure on the serpentine belt to keep everything moving, and depending on the year depends on the route the serpentine takes over the water pump (I don't remember what year they moved the airconditioner?). Along with that check the belt itself, it may be showing signs of wear and or stretching.

Second check the thermostat, it may only be opening just a little limiting the flow just a little too much...

James

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it problay over 100,000 mile best thing to do is trade her in for a new one...

" change the hoses flush the radiator out, flush the engine out.. check the belt too. check the water pump look for movement in water pump it might be going out, blow out the outside radiator with air then high pressure washer...

DON'T PUT THE ANITFREEZE IN UNTIL JOB IS DONE SO THERE NO LEAK and you waste any of it ...
THE RULE IS THE ANITFREE FILL IT TO THE TOP DON'T add WATER TO IT TODAY THEY ALL READY DO THAT WHEN YOU BUY TO STUFF...
if any other color besisde green or jelly type aintfreeze you might take the radiator out, to radiator shop have clean out and repair...."

other thing the electric fan do have problem cooling too. then they might not be working right you might have to have radiator shop check it out for you too ....

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Overheating Dodge Minivan Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Danny in CO wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:42:03 06/17/07) I have a 99 Dodge Grand Caravan that overheats. It is the 3.3L engine with AT. Just sitting at idle it won't overheat. Where I have the problem is when going up hills/mountains it overheats. As soon as I get to downhill or flat it cools back down quickly. It is full of coolant, electric fans are working, I think water pump is OK. I notice the problem more when using the MAX AC.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks,
Danny

I would replace the thermostat and take the radiator to a good radiator shop and have it taken apart and inspected. Don't trust the flow test. A radiator can flow just fine but have enough material build up inside the flues to prevent effecient transfer of heat to the outside air.

Zane

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters